Dry ferts?

1. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I want to try out dry ferts. Which will you guys recommend for some low light plants? I have liquid ferts but it comes pretty expensive because I have a large tank And I will need to buy them more often. Where would I be able to buy them?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

3. matsungit Well Known Member Member

You will save a ton of money by using dry ferts especially for low light. I assume you have a general idea of what and how much to dose? It will depend on the type of plants you have and how much.

Some sources:
    http://greenleafaquariums.com/
    https://www.kelp4less.com/
    And of course ebay and amazon.

Powders I use:
    CSM+B (micro ferts for trace elements)
    Potassium Nitrate (I use only when needed)
    Potassium Phosphate (I use only when needed)
    Potassium Sulfate
    Calcium Carbonate
    Magnesium Sulfate (for hardness and also for keeping calcium from precipitating)
    Sodium Bicarbonate (for KH because I use RODI)
    And lastly liquid Flourish Iron

4. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Thank you. I have plants such as: amazon swords, Brazilian Pennywort, moneywort, dwarf sag, crypt wendtii, crypt Balansae. What ferts would be great for these? And how often do you guys dose the ferts?

5. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

6. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Okay thank you

7. urbach Initiate Member

you need root tab with sword plant and Crypt. use osmocote plus DIY.

8. jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

Look up PPS-Pro dosing. I suggest the macro/micro mix from GLA, he's top notch.

9. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1405899655.229921.jpg
    Is this a good mix? I don't know much about ferts so I don't really know what to get. I used to use Api leaf zone and co2 booster which is just Iron and Potassium. Or which ferts of these should I get? ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1405899861.580554.jpg

10. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

11. jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

Either EI or PPS-Pro. I like PPS-Pro better since you premix it in bottles with water so it makes dosing much faster and simpler than measuring it out every day. However I don't recommend the standard PPS-Pro or EI method for a low light setup, since your fertilizer needs are going to be much lower than a high tech tank. Dosing one time after water change (on a weekly routine) would be a good starting point in a low light/low tech setup.

12. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Thanks

13. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

14. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

I've done this too. I also premixed the dry with water and set out a bottle for each day of the week. Then just dumped in daily on my way to work.

15. jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

That's the basic premise of pps-pro dosing. All macros mixed into one container with water, and micros in another. I use the containers with the little measuring section on them from GLA so I can just eyeball it.