Drumming with fish

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ROMAN821, Mar 30, 2010.

1. R

ROMAN821 New Member

Hey all I just have a quick question... I am a drummer, have been one for 8 years now and have decided to get a fish tank. The problem is I read fish feel through vibrations so my question for you all is, will my drumming stress :;fru the fish out a lot or will the remain calm? (My kit is up in my room while my aquarium is downstairs right below my room)... I could go with electronic drums but I'd prefer not to so if anyone has suggestions I would greatly appreciate them! :;drum

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Since their that far apart it may not bother them. all I know to do is try it and see.
    Carol

3. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fishlore Roman. :;hi2

The best answer I can give you is that it probably will effect the fish but there are several variables that I can only guess at. The best way for you to find out what effect it is having on your fish is for you to sit & watch the tank when the house has been all quiet for a while, then get one of your mates to suddenly start bashing away on the drums as hard as you would be. If the fish suddenly start to dart around or sort of freeze up & then go off into hiding, then the drums are definitley disturbing them. You could try mounting your bass drum on some polystyrene to dampen the vibration coming from that as it is probably the main offender. You could also put polystyrene blocks under the snare stand as it would be the next biggest offender. Also pad up underneath any amps if you have mates come over for jam sessions with thier guitars.

4. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Many fish are very sensitive to loud noise. It's not so much the vibration as the fact that, although their ear parts are internal, they can hear.

A lot of the sites that describe fish species will include whether or not that particular fish is sensitive to noise.

I agree that you should probably do an actual drum test to see. You never know.

5. p

philipbouchard-davies Valued Member Member

I dont think it will be an issue my band always jams at my house, we got the whole works, guitar, bass, drums singing and the fish don't care.

Phil :)

6. Nutter

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  7. w

wonton55912 Valued Member Member

my fish "dance" when i play music

8. Nutter

Would that be a funny sort of shaking gyrating kind of thing or are they darting around everywhere? If they are reacting to the music, they can feel the viabrations from the speakers. You either need to turn the music down or work out how to minimise vibrations from your speakers. the vibrations stress fish quite alot.

9. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Nutter, thank you for your very knowledgeable response. The little information I was able to find in my previous research did not explain it as well. I appreciate you sharing.

wonton, we've already established in your own thread that your fish is stressed by the noise, not dancing. ;)

This is absolutely impossible.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice