Drum roll please

1. redlessi Well Known Member Member

Introducing my new Betta boy:;f

Just got him today (cup boy) from petco. He is in a 10 gallon tank with 2 snails that hitched in on a plant and he has only nudged one once or twice. I rehomed my goldfish to a 20 gallon finally so the tank was already established for about 1 year or so. Hes moving slowly. Out of curiosity I gave him 1 Hikari betta pellet and he ate it. Hes watching me intently as he explores his new home. This is my first betta and he is quite interesting. His colors are beautiful, he is deep blue in the face and gradually gets lighter. His fins look turquose with some red depending on the way the light hits. Once I get to know him, I will give him a better name than lil boy blue.

I have seen him at the bottom of the tank a few times, is this normal:;dk and sometimes it looks like his side fins are going fast:;dk. How long does it take for them to realize they are not still in those horrible cups??

Attached Files:

2. uprightandlocked Well Known Member Member

Beautiful coloring! Your betta boy will lay ALL over the tank. All of mine lay on the bottom at various times. Eventually, he will find his favorite place to rest. My boy Vanguard is ALWAYS asleep on the suction cup holding the heater to the tank. They're so funny!!

Congratulations on your new boy. What kind of decorations are in his tank?

3. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Red! Your new boy is beautiful! Thanks for sharing his photos. Give him a few days and I think you'll see a big difference in him. Everything you've mentioned seems normal to me. I've been watching my new boy a lot lately.
    Congrats on the new addition. Just give him more time to acclimate to his new home and I think he'll be fine.
    Ken

4. Chris123 Well Known Member Member

Congrats on the beatiful boy !

Best Wishes

CB

5. redlessi Well Known Member Member

I have a small fake driftwood cave, silk plants, live java moss and hornwort.

He is moving around more this morning. I would really like to see his stance with his fins flared. When do they do that???

How many pellets should I give him? I only gave 1, is that enough??

Attached Files:

6. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Aww, congrats, he's beautiful! Sometimes it takes them a while to get used to so much room. Remember, he's been stuck in a cup, not able to stretch his fin. He may need time to build up his strength

7. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

what a cutie!!!!!! congrats! his new tank looks fabooo!!

8. Heather M Well Known Member Member

Congrats! He's a cute little guy.

9. bubblefish Member Member

Wow, congrats. I love his colors.

10. redlessi Well Known Member Member

Thanks Ken, today he is moving around a lot more, floating on the hornwort and inside the driftwood cave peeking out at me.

11. redlessi Well Known Member Member

He may need time to build up his strength, Thanks Lucy I did not even consider that.

his new tank looks fabooo!! Thanks Shawnie

Thanks to everyone who has complimented my new boy, hes going to be a little conceited if you guys keep this up.

I gave him 2 hikari betta pellets this morning and 2 freeze dried bloodworms tonight and he loved it. Still not sure on how much and what to feed, all suggestions welcome. Thanks much

ps: could someone tell me how to reply with multiple quotes..........

12. uprightandlocked Well Known Member Member

Can't help you with the quotes, sorry. I don't feed Hikari betta pellets to my guys and girl regularly. I only fed them to one of the boys when he was in a temporary home (long story) and I didn't have my regular food with me. I gave him three pellets a day. I was only feeding him once a day, though.

13. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

14. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Congratulations, Reds! He's got beautiful coloring. I'm sure he'll settle in soon.

15. redlessi Well Known Member Member

Thanks BB, his coloring is changing a bit with each day. How do you get them to show you their fins flared?

16. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I think most people put them in a smaller container and use a mirror. Out of our bettas, Dracula is the only one who flares and he won't do it when the camera is out. Plus, I don't take mine out of their tanks for pics, although that's a great way to get their coloring and attitude on film.

17. redlessi Well Known Member Member

I just wanted to see what he looks like but I have no intention of taking him out of the tank.

18. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I understand;) Maybe put a mirror next to the tank?

19. Seatown12 Member Member

Beautiful betta!

20. redlessi Well Known Member Member

Thanks much