Drove Myself Crazy Troubleshooting My New Canister Filter

Discussion in 'Funny Stuff' started by Pr0tista, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Pr0tista

Pr0tista New Member Member

So I bought a brand new fluval 206 canister filter for my 20 gallon and meticulously (or so I thought) followed all the instructions for setup. I am finally at the step to prime it to fill it with water and I give it a few pumps and nothing happens, a few more, still nothing. I then vigorously pump it over and over and no water is moving at all. I spend the next 30 mins looking up what to do to get it to prime and nothing is working. Finally in desperation I take it apart and look inside and there I see a small piece of foam holding open the intake flap (facepalm). I remove the foam and it primes perfectly with just one pump. I plug it in and it quietly hums as it seems to be flawlessly filtering my tank. Until a few hours latter when I hear this horrible rattling noise and bubbles spurting out. I panicked and unplugged it immediately. I then spend the next 6 hours reading forum posts and adjusting everything I can think of. I reattached every fitting re cut the hoses to be the exact length with no slack tried to shake the air out of the canister until I notice that every time I open it up the impeller door is slightly ajar. So I figure the impeller must be actually rattling around in there. I try everything to keep that door closed and nothing is working, I was jamming stuff in the tabs and even tried duct tape, but it would always just pop back open and rattle within about 20-30 mins. At this point I had given up and was about to take the whole dam thing apart to return it. Before I did that I decided to watch some guys unboxing and review of the filter on youtube just to see if other people were complaining about it too, I watch the guy open the box and start taking out the media containers. On top of the first one he takes out I see this little white lid with a raised circular rim around it that looks like it would sit right up against the impeller cover keeping it from popping open. I facepalm my self so hard that I hurt my nose. I run over to where I was originally unboxing the filter and find that part sitting hidden under my recliner. The filter now runs like a dream and I feel like an idiot :p.

2. Fishywife

Fishywife Valued Member Member

:D I'm sorry but I just lol'd really hard there. I feel your pain!

3. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

Alls good that ends well

4. Smalltownfishfriend

Smalltownfishfriend Well Known Member Member

Haha that's hilarious!! Way to figure it out though!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice