Dropsy?

1. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

???

I woke up this morning to Azul very swollen and pine coney and it looks like through his scales into his body he may be hemoraging. Could this be dropsy? He has been very lethargic and hasn't wanted to eat (very unusual) and just hanging at the top of the tank in the back corner for a couple of days. I lost the Otto a few days ago (cause unknown) and I just thought he was moping. I don't know what to do for him. I don't want him to suffer, but I don't want to lose him either.

If anyone has any advice I am listening and grateful.

Rose :(

2. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

I woke up this morning and Azul was all pine coney and bloated.  He has been lethargic and unwilling to eat and floating in the back corner of the tank or on the bottom for the last few days but that was right after the Otto died and they were all a little depressed.

I am putting Furan 2 into the tank as it was what the fish vet I know said might work.  Is there anything else I should be using instead or should I be putting him out of his misery.  Under his scales the front half of his body is shadowed as though he has had some hemorrhaging and I hate to have him suffer.

I will really appreciate any help or advice you can give me.

Rose

3. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Rose do a water change then just keep him company. Sorry to hear he's sick.
    Carol

4. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Rose, it sure sounds like it. This came from another site I trust. Hope this helps!

5. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I believe the salt referred to is Epsom salt also.
    Carol

6. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

He seems to be doing some better. He doesn't seem quite so swollen, but all of a sudden I have a white Betta with blue taill and fins. It is not ich, it just looks like he is losing all his scales. Will he grow them back or will he be scaleless if he survives? He just looks so odd without them. It also makes it kind of hard to tell if he is really getting much better as ther are so few scales to stick out like a pine cone. At least the dark areas under his skin that looked like bleeding internally are GONE so I think maybe something is going in the right direction. I hope this is not wishful thinking. I have practically slept in here with the tanks and changed the filter media and water every other day. The epsom salts are what are causing the swelling to diminish, I'm sure. He is active now and swimming more than I have seen him do in days. He even chases the Ottos around the tank again. He has even flared a couple of times at them.

7. dahly Member Member

Glad to hear he is doing better!

8. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Rose are you saying he lost his scales or they have laid back down? another question , why are you changing the filter media every day?
    Glad he's doing better :D
    Carol

9. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

I thought he had lost his scales entirely because I could not see them at all but they are still standing up slightly and I just couldn't see them. They are so clear and I don't have a light on my tank right now as it shorted out and I am waiting for the new one so I am having to make do with a substitute (desk lamp off to the side). He is better as far as his actions but I am still worried about his floating in the corner to sleep. He looks dead and scares me to death until he moves!

I change the filter because I am using that bonded filter material ahead of my bio-wheel and it gets really dirty for some reason more than the usual filter, so I just cut a new piece and put in as all my good bacteria are on the bio-wheel so it doesn't make any difference. Does it? When I'm not using the epsom salts anymore I will go back to the charcoal filters and then they will probably only get changed every two weeks or so.

I keep hoping he is getting over this, but I don't have any idea how long it takes or what to look for in a recovery.

Happy New Year to you all and thank you for your help.

Rose

10. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I don't know Rose, it just feels like your throwing some good bacteria away when you dispose of the filter media.
    Keep up the good work, Keep up the Epsom salts, the longer he lives the better chance he has of surviving. I understand the cure for dropsy is long and drawn out.
    Carol

11. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

I want to thank you for your comments, care and concern for both me and Azul. Today I did a water change, removed most of the epsom salts (I had been trying to put a little less in the last couple of small changes) and put the carbon filter back in. His scales are almost back down already (yes I guess they are still there, I just hadn't been able to see them when they were standing on end) and he is starting to look like the little blue fishie I know and love. (he does have the "corn row effect" yet but maybe that will go as he loses the last of the bloat) There is of course still epsom salts in the water and will be for several more water changes but I shall not add more as I want to see if he can do okay without.

I know dropsy is a very serious disease for a fish to overcome and once again I want to thank you for being there for us both.

Rose (& Azul)
    :D

12. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

www.bettatalk.com is an excellent Betta site with lots of info on diseases and stuff. You might want to check it out. I've heard that dropsy usually is fatal, so you're fortunate that your fish seems to be getting better. I hope he completely recovers!