Dropsy?

1. calmw16

calmw16 Valued Member Member

I think my guppy has dropsy but I'm not sure what is causing it. What should I do for treatment? 975d05d9f48ef8173b9f8e6a69698230.jpg

2. Katie13

Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

Can you post an overhead picture? He looks incredibly bloated, but I can't really see the pineconing.

3. OP
    OP
    calmw16

I haven't noticed any pineconing yet. Maybe it is just a horrible case of constipation and the Epsom salts I added will clear it up but he's been sitting on the bottom for a day or two now

Water parameters are good, at 0,0,20 and normal pH. He is in a 10 gal with some black neons and a snail. Currently have a bit of algae but other than that the tank is fine

4. Katie13

That tank is a bit small for Black Neons. They really need at least 20 gallons, but this is about the guppy. I would attempt fasting him for a few days. If that doesn't work, the next step would be a boiled, deshelled pea.

5. OP
    OP
    calmw16

I've tried the pea but he wont eat any of it. Just a nip and then he swims away. I put in a little under 2 tbsp of epsom in the tank today so I'll see if that works at all. If that doesn't work should I try some antibiotics?

6. Katie13

Have you tried fasting him?

7. OP
    OP
    calmw16

I've done it for 2 days but I will try again for 3 days. He hasn't eaten anything for a couple days now though

8. OP
    OP
    calmw16

I think it is definitely dropsy now because I think I am noticing a slight amount of pine coning. Is there anything I can do now or should I just humanely put him down? Also how would I do that if that is the decision? 52c889cfc270feb96710e7683cf322e5.jpg

9. Katie13

I would try a methylene blue bath if you would like to try to save him. Luckily, it's not that advanced yet.

10. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

if you see some pineconning , I would go with Kanaplex treament try getting seachem Kanaplex. Treat your guppy for 6 days 3 treatments in a QT and see how things go

I had a goldfish with Dropsy , with the help of Dicusluv, I used Kanaplex and Metroplex together , my Goldfish was at the pine cone stage and he made a full 100% recovery.

11. j

jenag145 Valued Member Member

What are your temps at??

Have you tried any antibiotics??

12. OP
    OP
    calmw16

My thermometer is preset at 78 degrees. I need to get an adjustable one at some point

My thermometer is preset at 78 degrees. I need to get an adjustable one at some point. The only meds I have used is a little aquarium and epsom salt. Petsmart meds were ridiculous for pricing so I'll order some Kanaplax and antibiotics

13. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

Kanaplex is the only med that has a measurable effect on dropsy according to those who have used it. The rest of the meds should target the underlying condition.

14. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

If ordering Kanaplex online, order nutrafurazone as well. They amp each other up when used together (API Furan-2). I'm not sure why someone used the Metroplex with Kanaplex, it contains metronidazole that is used to treat parasites. Of course it is a case by case treatment with these things.
    Edit: Makes sence now. It was for an anaerobic bacteria common in gold fish.

15. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

Dropsy can be caused by so many different things, that's why using Kanaplex and Metroplex is best in most situations. Just simply try searching "dropsy Kanaplex" you'll notice many articles of it being used with Metroplex having great results.

16. OP
    OP
    calmw16

How should I set up a quarantine tank? Do I need to buy a small tank and filter etc or can I just use a big Tupperware container or medicate the entire tank?

17. KimberlyG

That does not surprise me. They are both Seachem products. Seachem's site states that treatment. Several of the sites that came up also only list Seachem products. I have seen CindiL our disease expert here use kanaplex and nutrafurazone together more times than I can remember with fantastic results. Several of the disease sites that I visit often to check for suitability concerning inverts also lists that combination. If it works, I don't care what it is coupled with. I do tend to trust sites more if they list all different manufactures instead of just one. I have one great diagnostic site I use that mentions Seachem products all the time. They also tell you that Seachem sponsors them. (Nothing against Seachem, I use several of their products.)

18. OP
    OP
    calmw16

Thanks for the help but despite the efforts he died last night. He just wouldn't eat for a week and that combined with the bloating got him.

19. KimberlyG

Sorry for your loss.

20. j

jenag145 Valued Member Member

Sorry for your loss sweetie