1. Amazon PRIME Day is today!
    Stock up on aquarium goodies!

No PRIME membership? No problem, sign up for a 30 Day Free Prime Trial to take advantage of the PRIME day sale prices!

Dismiss Notice

Dropsy

1. Olivia67

Olivia67 Valued Member Member

[​IMG] my Betta was sitting on the ground yesterday, and super
    Bloated today. Is it dropsy?

2. peregrine

peregrine Valued Member Member

OK. Hard to tell from the picture. Are the scales sticking out, kind of looking like a pinecone? It could always jsut be constipated. If it's not pineconeing (or even if it is) you could try fasting it for a day or 2 and see if the bloating goes down.

Advertisement

3. mg13

mg13 Well Known Member Member

I Think with a bloat like that, you should probably fast him for a few days, like mentioned above, as well as also trying to feed him canned peas. It helps with bloating. there's a whole bunch of info on that online,

what are you feeding him? and how much? was he bloated like this the day he was laying down? what are your perimeters?

I highly doubt it's dropsy, but it's good to be looking around.

Advertisement

4. OP
    OP
    Olivia67

He's not pineconing. I'm feeding him pellets, 3 3 times a day. He was not bloated yesterday.

5. Platylover

Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

33 times a day seems a bit much... :p I'd fast him for three days then give him a pea, continue till the bloat is gone. If it doesn't go away then you could be looking at something else like dropsy. You'll need to keep a very close eye on him. Hope all works out.

6. peregrine

peregrine Valued Member Member

I would say it's probably just bloating. Try fasting him for a few days then a deshelled pea as platylover mentioned.

if he's not pineconing it's not Dropsy. But Dropsy is also the final stages of MANY MANY different internal parasites.

7. mg13

how long have you been feeding him with that schedule? I don't know how he would end up bloating so quickly, even if it was a parasite.

8. Platylover

Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

That's my concern as well, dropsy is usually the last stage and it's generally hard to cure if it gets there. That's why I'd fast then treat for dropsy if it doesn't start working.

9. OP
    OP
    Olivia67

No, not 33 times a day. 3 pellets 3 times a day.

10. codyrex97

codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

I think that could still be a bit much. I'm feeding mine 3 pellets 2 times a day and I think I may move to 2 pellets 2 times a day or 3 pellets 2 times every other day because I can see his belly getting bigger. Also be sure to give a fasting day every now and then. It's good to feed the Betta a pea occasionally to help their digestion.

11. mg13

plan fasting into your schedule, like every Wednesday, that way you know when you need to skip feeding and you can be consistent.