Dropsy

1. ppuccio97 Initiate Member

My female beta has dropsy :(. I have been using Epsom salt to reduce her swelling. I have heard that I should use Maracyn 2, but i cant find the medicine anywhere in stores or even online! I have an antibiotic called Clindamycin, but I don't know if it will work or is harmful for my beta. I also don't understand why my beta has dropsy. She is in a 10 gallon tank shared with 3 shrimp, ammonia and nitrates are 0, water temperature is 78 degrees F, and I have a filter in the tank as well. Could it be that fish today are not very healthy due to inbreeding and mass production?

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi ppuccio97
    I'm sorry about your betta. :(
    If you click the maracyn 2 link in your thread it will take you to source on amazon.
    Unfortunately once they pine cone it's usually too late. Kanaplex had been recommended to me for dropsy. It is a heavy duty antibiotic. It didn't help in my situation but maybe yours is different.

Good luck!

3. ppuccio97 Initiate Member

Thank you for you help! I see that she has started to pine cone :( I just don't understand how she has contracted dropsy. Are there any suggestions on how to prevent dropsy? I have a male beta and I don't want him to get dropsy as well. I don't think my female beta will last until Monday, that is when I should get the maracyn from amazon.

4. Protim Sarkar Well Known Member Member

The disease is actually an infection caused by bacteria that are commonly present in all aquariums. Consequently, virtually any species of fish can be stricken with Dropsy. However, healthy fish rarely fall prey to the disease. Fish are only susceptible when their immune system has been compromised by some stress factor. If all the fish in the tank are under stress, it’s quite common for the entire tank to become infected. It is also possible for only one or two fish to fall ill, especially when prompt action is taken to prevent spread of the disease.

Antibiotics should be used if fish do not immediately respond. A broad spectrum anti-biotic specifically formulated for gram negative bacteria is recommended. My preference is for Maracyn-Two. A ten day course is ideal for ensuring the infection is eradicated. However, you should always follow manufacturers directions for duration and dosage.

Source:
    http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/termsandtables/p/Dropsy.htm