Dropsy?! Urgent! Help

1. Duardo

Duardo Valued Member Member

I need help! I think one of fish already might not make it since a small part of his stomach or something seem to be ruptured. (All pics will be attached).

So basically, I found one of my neon tetras with a bulge on the side of his stomach and that must've happened today because I am pretty sure he was not like that yesterday. So I quarantined him with an albino Cory who has a messed up mouth and has not healed. This two are independent illnesses.

So I did some research and found out its dropsy and it might be too late for the little guy. But I am worried for the rest of my tank. I removed the Tetra and fed him a little bit of flakes (It is top fin so I don't know if this counts as high quality but they do not like omega). Regardless I didn't feed my fish today so i gave him some and he eats in very small amounts but he still is active and interested in food. He hasn't lost color or anything as well.

What worried me was that I had 5 tetras total, 2 died mysteriously, I assume it was the Betta who got aggresive since they had missing eyes and only one had that before, But apart from that they didnt want to eat flakes anymore but rather these shrimp pellets I have for my albino corys.

So now I feel like maybe the other tetras may be affected by whatever underlying illness and I don't know whether I should quarantine them or leave them in my main tank.

After removing my tetra I did a 50% water change and in the QT tank I added General cure, since my albino seemed to have had a sunken stomach (probably from not being able to eat as much because of his injured mouth).

Now Im worrried for my main tank and I dont know if I should treat them all with anti fungal stuff, I added some aquarium salt since I heard it helps as a laxative.

I think its too late for the one tetra but I need advice on what to do with my main tank and what medicines to use! Ill talk to a fish vet tomrrow as well.

I also will add pictures of my other fish because I think I am bad at spotting illnesses and many of you are very good. So I would like to know if any of them are bloated or have weird spots and clamped fins. On a side note; The betta's scales came off because I think he was trying to squeeze inbetween some dragon stone and the tank wall, he only lost 1-2 scales and I dont think hes pineconing.

Thanks for all the help! And i want to know if I should just Euthanize my tetra :(

Tl:dr I have a fish with dropsy what to do? ​

Attached Files:

• Dropsy?! Urgent!
      072.JPG
      File size:
      315.6 KB
      Views:
    • Dropsy?! Urgent!
      080.JPG
      File size:
      280.6 KB
      Views:
    • Dropsy?! Urgent!
      082.JPG
      File size:
      241.2 KB
      Views:
    • Dropsy?! Urgent!
      087.JPG
      File size:
      313 KB
      Views:
    • Dropsy?! Urgent!
      091.JPG
      File size:
      305.1 KB
      Views:
    • Dropsy?! Urgent!
      101.JPG
      File size:
      268.8 KB
      Views:
    • Dropsy?! Urgent!
      103.JPG
      File size:
      223.1 KB
      Views:
    • Dropsy?! Urgent!
      094.JPG
      File size:
      298.9 KB
      Views:
    • Dropsy?! Urgent!
      108.JPG
      File size:
      272.3 KB
      Views:
    • Dropsy?! Urgent!
      109.JPG
      File size:
      177.6 KB
      Views:
  2. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

I'd remove the aquarium salt, some say it's stresses the kidneys more and can be harmful, especially since dropsy is a kidney infection. Some say it helps, but I don't know that I'd risk it. I recommend adding epsom salt, 15ml per 5 gallon, and you can do epsom salt baths at 1 tbsp per gallon for 10-15 minutes, but if the fish shows severe distress (eg falling to the side and not being able to right itself, or not moving even when prodded) remove immediately and put him back where he came from. Kanaplex actually helped me in the past, but I think my guy was more in the beginning of dropsy. My eyes aren't the best, so I can't really tell from the pics, but your betta seems fine, I don't know much about cories but he looks ok too. Neon tetras are actually pretty notorious for being hard to keep, weird stuff happens with them.
    If he survives the night and doesn't seem to be in pain/can still swim and eat, then I would start treatment by changing 50% of the water daily (remember to add back the epsom salt that would be lost through water changes), and doing 2-3 baths per day as well as treating with kanaplex. I know there's a link on here called "Dropsy Treatment" but my phone isn't letting me link it right now. Dropsy is a tough one, I wish you the best of luck.

3. OP
    OP
    Duardo

Duardo Valued Member Member

I was doing research and it said adding aquarium salt kinda helps because dropsy is a build up of fluids and this helps draw some of it out so it helps with bloating. I put the neon in a QT and hes doing fine, acting totally normal. If he does survive the night ill go buy some kanaplex and see if it helps. Also the epsom salt, is there a link? Because i searched it up and none of them specifcially said for aquariums and some said they had magnesium etc. Also should the salt baths be in a seprate smaller container or is doing it in the QT ok?

4. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

The baths should be done in a smaller seaparate container. Epsom salts are not actually salt, it's just the way the chemicals bound that it's technically a salt. It's a combination of magnesium and sulphur, but it's fine for aquariums and a lot of people use it in EI dosing. I'm really sorry you're going through this, I know how tough it is. As long as the epsom salt is unscented, it's fine. If it's just pure MgSO4 you're good, and it should have that somewhere on the bag (at least my off brand one does). And yes, some say aquarium salt helps, some say it's makes it worse. Personally, I prefer epsom salt just because I haven't seen anyone say it makes it worse. Aquarium salt might be totally safe, it may have just been some instances in which the fish were too weak and the people blamed the salt, but I'm just and anxious person so I try to use what I think is the "most safe", but it's probably subjective, so take it with a grain of salt (pun intended lol)