Dropsy :( Please Advise

nicoless

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've been trying to keep my little betta alive for the past week or so. Daily water changes, low light, some Kanaplex and Furan-2.

This morning I noticed her scales are bristling.

I added aquarium salt an hour ago but just read that I should have added Epsom salt. I feel terrible. She did eat a little just after I added the salt.

I'm setting up a hospital tank for her but it isn't to temperature yet. Should I get her in there and do the Epsom salt and Kanaplex in there? Should I do a water change now to get rid of the aquarium salt?

Thank you for any thoughts or advice. If there's any other info I can provide please let me know thank you

Also if I do move her to the hospital tank, how should I do it? Is there an acclimatizing method I should use?

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hi, first off, yes you should do water changes to get rid of the aquarium salt. Don't do one big change, but do one 50% now and another later this evening, after 5-6 hours if you are able. If not, do it when you can. Can I ask why you are moving her? Does she have tank mates, and if so, what? You can go ahead and add the epsom salt to the water and just replace it when you do water changes. Make sure to fully dissolve it and add it in over the course of s few minutes. Make sure the epsom salt is unscented, and add it at a rate of 1tbsp per 5 gallons. You should do 2-3 baths a day in epsom salt at a rate of 1tbsp per 1 gallon. Kanaplex and Furan 2 are good medications for this. Also, try to do 50% water changes daily, and if you're dosing kanaplex, add back in a half dose if it's not a dosing day. Eg, first day (before dosing) do a 50% wc and add the dose, on the second day do a 50% water change and add half s dose, third day 5/% wc full dose, etc. If you're going to move her, yes there is a method for acclimating, I would use drip acclimation, but depending on the situation it may be better not to move her.

nicoless

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okay, I just did a 50% water change and will do another one tonight. I will run out and get the Epsom salt now. Just so I'm clear, I should add 1 tbsp of Epsom salt to the tank (it's 5 gallons), and also do additional baths? How do the baths work? I've searched a bit but haven't found any step-by-step instructions.

I was only going to move her because the Dropsy article recommended a QT. But I won't move her if it isn't necessary. She doesn't have any tankmates.

Thank you so much for helping, I really appreciate it.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yes, you add 1tbsp (15ml, I just used the top of my stress coat thing to measure lol) to your tank if it's 5 gallons. There's no need to move her if you're just using kanaplex and epsom salt. There are two main reasons to QT a fish, well actually three, but mainly to either isolate to prevent further infection of other fish, or because you have to use a medication that would destroy the biological filter. The third reason is tank size; it's easier to do water changes and less expensive to medicate a smaller tank, but that's mainly for very large aquariums. So don't worry about a QT. And yes, you should do epsom salt baths as well, these should be done in a different container for 10-15 minutes only. If your fish begins to breathe quickly and become less active, keep a close eye on her, and if she lists to the side and is unable to right herself or sinks to the bottom and doesn't move when prodded, remove her immediately. The dose for this is 1tbsp per 1 gallon, for only 10-15 minutes. It's recommended to do this 2-3 time a day if possible. I think there's a Dropsy treating sticky on here under the disease forum.
Yeah there's a lot that goes into this treatment.
1. Do 50% water changes daily
2. Add epsom salt (1tbsp per 5 gallons) and kanaplex to the main tank. Replace what is lost with every water change. Make sure the epsom salt is entirely dissolved before it is added to the aquarium.
3. Do 2-3 epsom salt baths daily, 1tbsp per 1 gallon for 10-15 minutes. You can either use tank water (when I did this I would take out the amount of water for a water change and add the new water into the aquarium while my fish was in the bath. Keep a close eye on her for the first few baths though) or you can use water from the tap with the same parameters and temperature as tank water.

nicoless

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you so much for taking the time to explain all of this. I'm really glad I can set the QT aside.

I just put the Epsom salt into the tank and picked up a new bucket for the baths. I'll try her first bath in a little while and will do another water change tonight. I really like your idea of taking out the water for the water change and using it for the baths.

Can I feed her throughout this process or is fasting recommended? She's foraging for food on the bottom of the tank for the first time in days.

Would you recommend something like Stress Coat to make this all this little easier for her? Or some product you would recommend that has a soothing or healing effect that won't interfere with the meds, etc? I see a lot of products on the shelves but don't really know what I'm looking at. I have a couple mini-catappa leaves in there with her.

Many, many thanks to you. It's so helpful to have a plan.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Glad I could help! Personally I did use stress coat, and I would add a few drops to the bath water, and add a dose to the main tank. You can feed her, but you might want to try fasting for the first day or two, then feeding normally.

nicoless

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Rtessy said:
Glad I could help! Personally I did use stress coat, and I would add a few drops to the bath water, and add a dose to the main tank. You can feed her, but you might want to try fasting for the first day or two, then feeding normally.
Okay, will definitely get the stress coat too. Thanks!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom