Dropsy Or Something Else?

1. Platyarelife

Platyarelife Well Known Member Member

My betta has been bloated for about 3 days now and automatically I'd say it looked very much like Dropsy. I recently had another betta that died from dropsy. However, he's not lethargic at all, still quite spunky. I've been looking at him closely making sure he doesn't pine-cone and some of his scales are sticking out a tiny bit but that hasn't progress since yesterday morning. His belly is also a white-ish green-ish color. This is weird cuz he's dark blue. I am not sure if that is another sign of dropsy or not.

I have a sneaky, suspicious, feeling that it's coming from their food. Which I have now thrown away and have a better quality lined up.

2. forestwind1234

forestwind1234 Valued Member Member

I would fast your betta for a few days. What are your water parameters?

3. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

If his scales are sticking out then it most certainly is dropsy. Did you put him in the same tank as the one that died of dropsy? did you disinfect it?
    Dropsy is a side effect from liver failure, caused by toxic water.
    How often do you change the water? What size tank is he in? How long have you had him? How do you clean the tank?
    What were you feeding him that made you think it was the food that was causing dropsy?
    Do you feed him a variety of food or just a staple pellet food?
    What are you feeding him now?
    How much? How often? Do you fast him? How many times a week?

4. Algonquin

Algonquin Well Known Member Member

Can you please post a picture of him? What exactly have you been feeding up until now?

5. OP
    OP
    Platyarelife

I've been fasting him for 5 days. I thought he was fat from eating snail eggs but the eggs are still there.

6. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

Dropsy can also be caused by bacteria, not just water quality, some betta seem to be more prone to it as if it is genetic rather than caused.
    When the scales are pine coned out is when the least hope for the fish is had because it indicates the fish is no longer able to control fluids in its body or organs are failing.

@Platyarelife I would start with an epsom salt bath to help reduce swelling, if your betta is being affected by dropsy this will help it get the excess fluid out. It is one tbsp to one gallon of water for a bath (you can mix up a jug of warm, dechlorinated water to use for your fish or do one teaspoon for 1/3 of a gallon), the bath is done for 10-30 minutes depending on how well the fish responds to it.
    I would fast you fish during this process as epsom also acts as a laxative (not as well as fibrous foods like peas and daphnia), if you could provide a picture of your fish for us to see what is visually going on with him?

7. OP
    OP
    Platyarelife

I have been feeding him Betta pellets. I tried to mix up his diet but he is extremely picky and won't eat 90% of foods. He likes blood worms but I can't make that his main diet either. I tried feeding him a pea in case of constipation but he hates peas and won't touch them either. :confused: I can't get a picture right now but when I can I'll post it. Also, as far as scales go I think his scale are pushed out more from him being so fat, and that's only happening on his belly. The scales also are only a tiny tiny bit pine-coned and haven't gotten worse. I'm watching him like a hawk since he's my favorite fish. I'll keep this updated as well if anything new presents itself.

I would have started the bath's already but some things came up recently I cannot get the Epsom salts for at least another 2 days. I know it sounds like a poor excuse but I love this fish and if I had the means I'd start them right now.

8. Mcasella

You can find epsom in the bath section of most grocery or similar stores (unscented/unperfumed, it is fairly cheap). If you can get a hold of some daphnia and soak it in garlic it acts as a laxative (the daphnia, the garlic is an immune and appetite booster).

9. Algonquin

Just to clarify, are you saying his scales are sticking out or slightly pineconed ONLY on his belly? Or all over but worse on his belly?

Is he swimming normally? Any weird floating/sinking issues at all?

10. Mcasella

Since you can't get epsom salt (make sure when you get it that it is unperfumed and unscented) do daily 30-50% water changes with warm dechlorinated water.
    A fish can last for quite some time without food so I would continue fasting him.

11. Algonquin

Epsom Salt (with nothing added) is also available in many pharmacies and bulk food stores. :)

12. OP
    OP
    Platyarelife

He swims normally and with spunk. He's not having any issues at all with swimming. The slightly pine-coned scales are only on his belly. I checked the best I could around the rest of him and none of the other scales looking to be pine-coned.

13. Algonquin

It sounds like he's probably constipated... how many pellets were you normally feeding him each day before you started fasting him?
    If he hasn't eaten in 5 days, he'd probably be feeling a little less 'picky' about a meal right now :) I would try the shelled pea and see if he'll go for it. If not, some Daphnia. I wouldn't stress him doing Epsom Salt baths if he doesn't have dropsy... and it sounds like he may not... we really need some pics when you can get them.

14. OP
    OP
    Platyarelife

I only give him 1-2 pellets for about 3 days. Then I fast him for a couple days. He won't eat peas, I've tried that before. He won't go near them or even try it.

15. Algonquin

Hmmm that doesn't seem like much food - you do mean 1 or 2 pellets per day for 3 days, then fasting for a couple of days? To me that sounds like you are underfeeding... What is the name of the pellets?
    Does he have any tankmates that he may have....um... eaten?

16. OP
    OP
    Platyarelife

1-2 per day for 3 days then fast. The pellets are rather large when they soak in water. When he eats 2 of them his tummy is visibly round and full. He had a snail that I removed cuz it kept laying a ton of eggs. I cleaned out most the eggs. I thought he was eating the eggs but all the eggs that were there are still there. Their nitrite snail eggs so don't need to worry about them hatching. I threw the bottle of pellets away but It was a Tetra brand of betta pellets, I believe. I fed those to my other betta who had dropsy and died. I was reading on other causes last night and I keep seeing that fish food that's been open for a month could be a risk (Flakes and pellets that is) and foods high in oils. I checked his food before I threw it away and the only oil it contained was Soybean Oil though it was listed as one of the top ingredients.

17. OP
    OP
    Platyarelife

Update : He's looking a bit more like a pine-cone but still not terrible. He's up swimming around following his reflection around. I hope he can make it a couple more days.

Attached Files:

18. Algonquin

Sorry I'm on the road at the moment, perhaps some other members can chime in and have a look at the pic.

19. OP
    OP
    Platyarelife

My wonderful boyfriend found some Epsom salts and started first bath. I'd rather be safe than sorry. I am too convinced he has Dropsy.

20. Algonquin

Of course do what you feel is best for him! He is your Fishie, so you have a better feeling for what might be going on
    Let us know how it goes.

21. OP
    OP
    Platyarelife

Well, he did really well in the bath, left him for about 18 minutes. When I put him back in the tank he was scared and he's taking it slow. He's still swimming around but he is resting at the bottom every once in awhile. He also attacked one fish flake and ate it, so at least I know he's doing okay and still has an appetite. I hope hope my little rolly polly makes it.

22. OP
    OP
    Platyarelife

Huge update! He's doing so much better. His swelling has gone down a lot and the pine-conning that started around the rest of his body was stopped in it's tracks and looking better. His belly is still slightly pine-conned but I think it was caught early enough where he will be okay. He is still being active and got him to eat some API tropical flakes. I am hoping to get him on a better diet, definitely no more pellets for him.
    I am amazed how much it went down after just one salt bath yesterday!