Dropsy Or Pregnancy

Rick bose

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Are the scales spiked?
Then it's definitely dropsy.
It's hard to understand from the pictures.

OP
ShellyB78

ShellyB78

Reaction score
Rick bose said:
Are the scales spiked?
Then it's definitely dropsy.
It's hard to understand from the pictures.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I don’t see any difference to the other fishes scales Maybe I’m wrong. I took a lot more pics of her for you to see, she’s very active though so hard to get a great pic

PascalKrypt

Well Known
Reaction score
It is very hard to judge from a photo, especially one that is not razor sharp, whether scales are protruding or not because it depends on depth perception.
Take a good look from above and see if the edge of the fish' sides are smooth or whether it looks a bit like a pinecone with scale tips sticking out from the curve.

Rick bose

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
PascalKrypt said:
It is very hard to judge from a photo, especially one that is not razor sharp, whether scales are protruding or not because it depends on depth perception.
Take a good look from above and see if the edge of the fish' sides are smooth or whether it looks a bit like a pinecone with scale tips sticking out from the curve.
I very much agree with him. It's very hard to determine whether the fish has dropsy or not if the pics are not sharp like yours. No matter how many different pics you click from various angles it won't matter if they are not sharp.

You look very closely and try to examine whether the scales of your fish are spiked or not. If it is then it's dropsy, otherwise it's not.
Sometimes it's tough to get a clear picture of a moving fish, but it's easy to determine yourself if you know the symptoms.
For reference, you can google fish dropsy and see how a fish with dropsy exactly looks and then judge yourself whether your fish has dropsy or not by close and careful observation.
You can do that yourself better than clicking pics and letting us to decide. Just look for spiked or protruding scales.

OP
ShellyB78

ShellyB78

Reaction score
Ok I’ll take a look from above and see if I can tell. Thank you for replying

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors