Dropsy Or Constipation???

BasicAngler

So this morning I fed my male betta and didn’t notice anything until after he ate. When I looked at him finally to say good morning before I left for school I noticed that he was bloated to high heaven. I’ve heard of dropsy but I’m having trouble differentiating the look of dropsy and constipation. I just want him to feel better so I need to know how to proceed with treatment because if it is dropsy I need to get on it ASAP. He is in a 10 gallon with three glofish four tiger nitrite snails and two cory catfish. There’s been an algae bloom but it’s been there a while and I’ve always been combatting the algae. He’s gotten bloated before from pigging on the cories food but I just want to make sure I’m not missing anything. He eats every other day. But I’m thinking about spacing it to twice a week because he pigs out on the other fish food

BasicAngler

Forgot to add, Hes still pretty active though he has been laying down more than usual. Every time I walk up to the cage he swims up and he will even chase my finger along the glass like usual as well. But he is laying down often. Thanks!

Colleen B

looks more like bloat than dropsy

Repolie

Yeah he looks more like he's constipated. Just fast him for a few days until he slims down. If not, try feeding a deshelled blanched pea.

WinterSoldier.

Not dropsy, but bloat. Try feeding him deshelled peas. Or giving him an epsom salt bath. Also refrain from feeding him

Sean Smith

I would not feed him for atleast three days and make sure his water is at 80-82

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom