Dropsy in betta??

bilobapoh

I've had my betta for 1.5 years. A few months ago, he started to bloat so I tried to fast him, but after a while nothing changed. I fed him again and he ate fine but started to become lethargic and stayed at the bottom of the tank. He then started to develop a slight pine cone. After I did some research, I decided he has dropsy. I considered euthanizing him, but decided to keep him in an epsom salt bath because he was still very lively when I fed him. The salt bath didn't do anything. He has been bloating for 6 months now and pine coning for 3 months. Could this be anything aside from dropsy?? If it is dropsy, should I medicate him with Kanaplex?

A201

Kanaplex treats bacterial infections. Its not likely the Betta is suffering from that. He would have died months ago.
He might have some type of a partial intestinal blockage, which causes the Dropsy Bloat.
Since the Betta is active and continues to eat, maybe feed him sparingly, once, every other day.
Be sure to change out 50% of the water
weekly.
Hope things get better soon.

bilobapoh

Thanks for the help! I will definitely do as you suggested. He's eating fine, but still very lethargic and staying at the bottom of the tank. He's also pooping fine. Would a partial intestinal blockage affect his pooping frequency?

A201

If the Betta is pooping normally, he might just have a genetic predisposition to be obese. Same advice.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
tlb0680
Replies
Views
Sien
Replies
Views
BettasRule
Replies
Views