Dropsy in a Zebra?

Discussion in 'Zebra Danio' started by ukaser, Mar 25, 2010.

1. u

ukaser New Member Member

Hi all,

I'm brand-freaking-new to fish keeping! Doing my best and loving my beasts...but one is sick!

He's got the symptoms of Dropsy... pineconing, bloated, colour loss.. he's eating and occasionally swimming about, but most of the time: hiding in dark places under/behind plants.

The 54 litre tank is two weeks old - week one with some plants and water treatment and the fish added last week.
    2 mollies, 4 zebras and 4 neons. A zebras and a neon kicked the bucket on day one, but the rest have been fine, even coming to look at me when I put my big face near the tank...

I don't have the kit to check the Ph of the water, although I'm going to see my fishy merchant tommorrow to learn the next phase: tank cleaning...

So what should I do? Leave him and see? Separate from the others? Or bash on the head...ulp....?

Thanks all!

2. TedsTank

TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Welcome to FishLore!

In 2 weeks I seriously doubt that your tank has cycled. What are your amonia, nitrite and nitrate levels?
    You will be having fish health problems until your tank is cycled and then even some of what is in your tank will be "damaged"

Please read up on Cycling a tank...we have many posts and how to sections.

3. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!
    I'm sorry you lost a fish and one is ill.
    Can you post a picture of it? If it's scales are pine coned and he's bloated, it sure does sound like dropsy.
    Sadly, at this point, it's usually too late to treat. If you decide that the best thing for your fish is to put it down, here is the https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/freshwater-fish-disease/48332-humane-method-euthanasia-sick-fish.html.

If you haven't been doing anything to the tank, it would be a good idea to change the water. During the cycling process ammonia and nitrite levels reach toxic levels, which often result in sick or dead fish. :(

Good luck.

4. OP
    OP
    u

ukaser New Member Member

Hi guys.. thanks for the responses! My camera can't pick it up.. he's too fast!

The tank was treated with API stress coat+ and flora boost, when the plants went in, a week before I added the fish...

The plants are growing happy, the other fish seem quite happy... but again I'm a noob...

I'll check the water tomorrow with the fishy merchant...

Any other tips?

5. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Ask them to write down the readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrates.

You should also look into getting a good liquid test kit. Avoid the strips, they can be inaccurate.

6. OP
    OP
    u

ukaser New Member Member

fish died... sad :(
    But water changed, fish looking happy... the PH was fine, but the nitrogen levels were at 9....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice