Dropsy, Euthanize? Please Help.

Becknewt24

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg My first “community fish” that I ever got, my platy, has Dropsy. I noticed the bloating 2-days ago and now there is a small bit of pine conning, as well as a huntched spine. I’ve heard of fish coming back from this. Someone please help, I really need to know the best way to treat him.

Rtessy
HI there. I'm so sorry your fish got dropsy.
The best way to treat it is to get Kanaplex and some unscented epsom salts.
The epsom salts buy time, the kanaplex will take care of any bacterial problems in the kidney, as Dropsy is kidney failure.
Epsom salt draws out fluid buildup, and can help slow or even reduce the swelling. In my experience, it just slowed down the swelling and gave the kanaplex time to work. Kanaplex is a 6 day treatment and my fish didn't show improvement until 3 days after the treatement ended.
So, you'll want to add 1tbsp per 5 gallons of epsom salt to the main tank. Dissolve the salt before adding it, and add it slowly. It does not increase salinity, but will increase TDS and gH rather quickly, which can shock some fish. Platies should be fine though.
You will also want to do 2-3 (3 is better) epsom salt baths each day. Some people also recommend daily 50% water changes, and if you're able to, go ahead and do it.
For the baths, dissolve 1tbsp of epsom salt in one gallon of water. Move your fish in for 10-15 minutes. If your fish shows signs of severe discomfort (rolling on side and unable to right itself, sitting on the bottom and unable to get up, or defecating) remove your fish immediately.
Kanaplex is the key here. There are a couple of different types of Dropsy; bacterial, fungal, parasitic, and organ failure. Bacterial is most common, and that is what kanaplex will treat. Fungal and parasitic are difficult to treat and diagnose, and I'm not sure how to treat them. If it's organ failure, the only reported treatment has been epsom salt, as it reduces fluids and therefore pressure on the kidneys, giving them a chance to heal.
Best of luck.

Becknewt24
The epsom salts buy time, the kanaplex will take care of any bacterial problems in the kidney, as Dropsy is kidney failure.
Epsom salt draws out fluid buildup, and can help slow or even reduce the swelling. In my experience, it just slowed down the swelling and gave the kanaplex time to work. Kanaplex is a 6 day treatment and my fish didn't show improvement until 3 days after the treatement ended.
So, you'll want to add 1tbsp per 5 gallons of epsom salt to the main tank. Dissolve the salt before adding it, and add it slowly. It does not increase salinity, but will increase TDS and gH rather quickly, which can shock some fish. Platies should be fine though.
You will also want to do 2-3 (3 is better) epsom salt baths each day. Some people also recommend daily 50% water changes, and if you're able to, go ahead and do it.
For the baths, dissolve 1tbsp of epsom salt in one gallon of water. Move your fish in for 10-15 minutes. If your fish shows signs of severe discomfort (rolling on side and unable to right itself, sitting on the bottom and unable to get up, or defecating) remove your fish immediately.
Kanaplex is the key here. There are a couple of different types of Dropsy; bacterial, fungal, parasitic, and organ failure. Bacterial is most common, and that is what kanaplex will treat. Fungal and parasitic are difficult to treat and diagnose, and I'm not sure how to treat them. If it's organ failure, the only reported treatment has been epsom salt, as it reduces fluids and therefore pressure on the kidneys, giving them a chance to heal.
Best of luck.

Thank so you so much! What would you recommend for food?

Best of luck.

And does it have to be unscented? Because I only have the lavender one.

jdhef
I would assume that whatever chemical they use to scent the epsom salt could be toxic to the fish.

Rtessy
Yes, unfortunately it does have to be unscented. Good news is that it's cheap and just about everywhere.
For food, you can try fasting for two days and feeding a blanched, deshelled pea, as it may reduce some stress or bloating caused by constipation, but overall feeding a bit lighter is recommended.

Becknewt24
Yes, unfortunately it does have to be unscented. Good news is that it's cheap and just about everywhere.
For food, you can try fasting for two days and feeding a blanched, deshelled pea, as it may reduce some stress or bloating caused by constipation, but overall feeding a bit lighter is recommended.

Ok thanks. I’m going to run to the store and grab some.

Rtessy
Are you able to get Kanaplex? If you have access to Amazon, I know you can get it off there

Becknewt24
Are you able to get Kanaplex? If you have access to Amazon, I know you can get it off there

Got some last night at Petco. One of my other fish is sick. I have done a poor job of taking care of the aquarium, to say the least. I will say tho that both illnesses came after a water change.

Rtessy
I'm sorry that you have another sick one. It does seem like the most likely cause is bacterial, so the kanaplex should do something. I'd start treatment as soon as you are able.

Becknewt24
Best of luck.

Also since I have kanaplex and paraflex or what ever it’s called, should I use both?

Rtessy
I had previously asked Seachem about using a medication in conjunction with Kanaplex, and they didn't recommend it. It wasn't one that have made, though, but using kanaplex alone is probably better

Becknewt24
I had previously asked Seachem about using a medication in conjunction with Kanaplex, and they didn't recommend it. It wasn't one that have made, though, but using kanaplex alone is probably better

I actually only have melafix (for bacterial infections) and parafix (for fungal infections). Would melafix work or do I need kanaplex?

Rtessy
Those likely won't do anything, I'm sorry to say. Pimafix won't help at all really, since it's likely not fungal, and melafix is often too weak of a medication to penetrate to the internal organs.
Do you have access to Amazon or something similar? It's like $7 off of there

Becknewt24
Those likely won't do anything, I'm sorry to say. Pimafix won't help at all really, since it's likely not fungal, and melafix is often too weak of a medication to penetrate to the internal organs.
Do you have access to Amazon or something similar? It's like $7 off of there

I do yeah. I’m going to have to do that. If he just started pinconing he should be fine for like 3 days right?

Rtessy
Honestly I don't know. Dropsy moves extremely quickly.
Have you been able to do any epsom salt baths or add any epsom salt to the main tank?

Becknewt24
Have you been able to do any epsom salt baths or add any epsom salt to the main tank?

Yes, both.

I got the kanaplex! Last one at the store. When can I do water changes, and I dose once per day right?

Becknewt24
I woke up this morning and found him dead. I feel so bad

jdhef
So sorry for your loss.

Rtessy
I'm so sorry for your loss.
Is the other one still okay?
And I'm sorry, I replied to your most recent one but I guess it didn't upload properly.
Dose every other day, you can do water changes on dosing days before you dose. So three doses over six days.

Becknewt24
I'm so sorry for your loss.
Is the other one still okay?
And I'm sorry, I replied to your most recent one but I guess it didn't upload properly.
Dose every other day, you can do water changes on dosing days before you dose. So three doses over six days.

Yeah his fungus is getting smaller by the day.

And he’s still acting normal

Rtessy
Okay, that's good. I hope he recovers really soon

Becknewt24
Okay, that's good. I hope he recovers really soon

Soooo he still has it after two bottles and some water changes, but is acting completely normal. What’s up with that?

Rtessy
Can you post a picture? And just to clarify, two bottles of what?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mimo91088
Top Bottom