Dropsy and Popeye, oh my! Question 

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey Folks,
I had to move a few days ago, so I put the tank water and fish into a huge bucket and re-set up the tank once I got there. I didn't compromise the filter media, I kept all the rocks and plants and such, I pretty much just emptied half the tank and moved half a tank. I tried my best not to disturb anything.

After a day or so, I noticed my cherry barb had cloudy eyes and discoloration. I thought maybe she was getting old, or it was a light deprivation thing. Sometimes if I don't turn the light on, all my fish look pale.
SO the next day, she had a few raised scales and looked a bit puffy so I checked on here and figured she must have dropsy. I immediately went to the fish store and bought the meds and put it in the tank.
This morning, she was dead.
All my other fish look great, no problems I can see. Should I keep putting the meds in the tank like the instructions say? Is Dropsy and Popeye contageous?

Thanks guys
-K

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Dropsy is not, but the cause of the dropsy might be (eg water quality to give a general example). Pop-eye I've never experienced, so I couldn't say for sure.
I'll try to find out for you though

EDIT: here. try this out

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
aww sorry for the loss of your fish baby....
pop eye and dropsy are caused by stress/bad water/overstocked and fish picking on eachother, among a few other things...as tigerfishy said, the disease itself isnt contagious, but the causes can effect them all.....but now that you have medicated the entire tank, you want to watch close on the cycle ...most meds will kill beneficial bacteria ...I would not keep medicating if the other fish are ok....a couple of extra water changes, with some stress coat+ , and watching the ammonia/nitrites/nitrates, is what I would do at this point...

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks you guys, I think based on the water readings and the way the fish interact and the food I give them, I am pretty sure it is stress from the move. I'm not sure why she got stressed and the others didn't (I even had 3 baby fry I found I had no idea was in there! They're doing great now, boogie-ing around the tank without fear)
I'll do another water change and check the water readings again, I put the carbon filter back in (I took it out before) and I'll keep watching them.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads