Dropsy Aftermath

1. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

Not sure what this thread is really going to be, I think partly documentation and partly to see what ideas everyone has.
    So, my goldfish got super stressed after being moved to a new, bigger tank, and long story short she got Dropsy. I started epsom salt baths, ordered kanaplex, and she's been doing well... Until two weeks ago.
    She had just seemed oddly bloated again and slightly prickly. I reduced feeding, and she seemed normal. Fed one pellet, and she got bloated and slightly prickly for two days. I believe this is a bit of a rebound of Dropsy, as the boating just seems different from constipation or swim bladder. It just seems like the same thing all over again.
    I've decided not to dose kanaplex yet, as the swelling seems somewhat controllable. I've decided to add 1tsp of epsom salt per 10 gallons of water, 1/2 the normal Dropsy tank dose. I think I'll switch to a vegetable only diet, I've fed kale, spinach, and peas, what are some other good options.
    Hopefully this works, and maybe it can be useful to someone else.

2. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Fishlore VIP Member

Hey. The biggest problem with dropsy is the kidney issue. Depending on the reason for the dropsy to begin with, viral, bacterial, genetic, parasitic, medicinal or injury, the kidney will be involved to differing degrees. And using kanaplex is a touchy thing. Yes it’s probably the best choice in most situations but it can still cause issues with the kidney itself or the kidney’s ability to heal without scarring. Sometimes a fish that’s had dropsy once will be super quick to develop it again. And again. Feeding veggies with occasional treats of protein can be most beneficial. But remember if you’re not feeding a commercially prepared food you’ll want to add vitamins/minerals to what you do give. I find using garlic juice really helps with these guys. Other things with vitamin c as well. My goldies love oranges. But hate zucchini. Wishing you and your finbaby the best.

3. OP
    OP
    Rtessy

Thank you! I knew kanaplex was a rough medication on the kidney, and I'm just glad how long she's been going with no symptoms. It's been quite a few months! I'll run out and grab some oranges and garlic. I have a little glass feeding dish for my shrimp, I'll just nab that to soak her food in garlic for a bit. I don't have garlic guard or anything to bind it to the food, do you think just soaking it will be alright? How often should I feed commercial food? Thank you!

4. Gypsy13

I’d feed the commercial food at least four days a week. None of my fish appreciate garlic guard. Have a huge bottle too. It’s fresh or nothing with them. And yes just soaking a few drops of garlic juice is plenty. Well, with a betta, adding just a drop is plenty. :)

5. OP
    OP
    Rtessy

Thank you! I had put aside some kale from my dinner last night, and it's quite a bit, so I'm thinking I may put it in my blender and add some unflavored gelatin and freeze it in little cubes... Would that be okay? I've made my snello similarly, and even though she's not supposed to have any, she's gotten I it a few times, lol. Good thing is that she seemed to really like it.
    Also, this is really unrelated, but how do you think a dwarf red tiger lotus would fare with goldfish? Would it just be a fancy snack?

6. Gypsy13

I’ve not had any luck with kale so I’d say go for it. Maybe she’ll be a normal little fishy and eat her veggies.
    My goldfish would gobble any lotus down to nothing in minutes. So you’ll probably get away with it. Not saying there’s nothing normal about my goldies. Just that they ain’t right. :)

7. OP
    OP
    Rtessy

I've gotten her to eat some kale before, so hopefully she'll go for it again! So far I've fed her some banana and green peas today, so I'll try some kale in a little bit. Thanks again for your help!!

8. Gypsy13

:)