Dropsy: 2 Or 3 Epsom Baths A Day?

1. n

nicoless Member Member

This might be a nitpicky question, but I'm deep into dropsy treatment for my betta and am on high alert.

Per Rtessy, I've been doing:
    3 Epsom salt baths a day
    2 water changes for a 50% daily wc
    Kanaplex as directed
    Stress Coat

She's doing better today for the first time, less pineconing of the scales and more activity. Today was a dosing day for Kanaplex so maybe that's helping.

So my question is, should I keep up the 3 Epsom salt baths or cut to two? Does it matter? I don't want to stress her out unnecessarily, but I don't want stray from the protocol if it's working.

2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

Never use epsom salt. About 50 years ago, salt was the only readily available mediaction and therefore many used it. Nowadays despite the myth of salt being a cure all, we know that it is actually hurting our fish and making them more prone to other diseases. Not only will salt weaken the fishes immune system, but the slime coat will be reduced allowing your fish to become more prone to other pathogens. Osmosis is another thing occuring within you fish when introduced to salt which is very hard on the fish. The fish actually becomes dehydrated because of the cells bursting as they try to match the outside enviroment. In most cases dropsy can be helped with just water changes. Dropsy actually isn't a disease but a side effect of usually a bacterial infection. Stick with the kanaplex, water changes, and stress coat, but eliminate the salt baths.