Drip system

Discussion in 'Advanced Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by derkulies, Jul 16, 2015.

1. derkulies

derkulies Valued Member Member

So my question is can anyone lead me to good instructions of how to make one. Second how do you meet output with input and not over doing the siphon and losing it. Along with maintaining enough siphon. I'm just curious as to what's a proper flow rate. I'm thinking of buying a 180-220 gallon and thinking a drip system would be way better than water changes with a bucket.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Why not just get a Python or Aqueon water changer? Would probably be cheaper and more efficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. Dadio

Dadio Well Known Member Member

This should help.  

Drip systems are very wonderful if you get them set rightly. Saves the fuss, muss and most of all, time. I had a simple drip system running via 3 inline micron filters to my 500g koi holding tank. Very good for large tank setups or even multi tank. This was set via a float for water leveling as there was also a fair evaporation. If I vacuumed the tank for debris I wasn't worried on filling as it was automatic. The 500G only had one 25% water change done in 6 months and this tank was holding 19 koi.

4. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Drip systems are the bomb. The easiest way to do one, I think, would be to run drip line (you can buy it at a hardware store) from a large tub or tank, down into your aquariums. The aquariums would be drilled with overflow boxes, piped to either a large holding tub, or piped into the plumbing drains, or piped outside into a garden or planter box.

I plan a system similar to this for several of my tanks when I move into a fishroom setup :)

5. OP
    OP
    derkulies

derkulies Valued Member Member

I like that idea ! I really wanna do a fish room too. Also reason I'm thinking drip system is it will help alot with water stability for discus fish. Which I really really wanna try.

Also could I run the in line through a bag of carbon to remove chlorine (I know won't remove chlorimates) like to a clear pvc that holds the bag in it with the carbon. Would that work ?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

6. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Aeration would remove chlorine, as would a simple dechlorinating drop. I would just use Prime in the bin.

7. Dadio

Dadio Well Known Member Member

Your best bet if running linline with the water supply is to use a 3-stage micron filter like this unit   (same one I use for my waterpond top off float) which will remove that and more.

No prime or other water conditioner required if using this.

8. p

prozium Valued Member Member

The king of diy has videos on it and I can probably screen shot the book pages for you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice