drip method acclimation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damian19

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
For the drip method acclimation do you have to remove any water before or during the acclimation?The article doesnt say anything about removing water but the drs foster and smith drip method acclimation video says to remove some water from the bucket.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not sure exactly what article your refering to but the process is a pretty simple one. Just gently pour the water & fish from the bag into a suitable bucket. Put the bucket next to the tank the fish are going into & start a siphon running through a length of airline. Put a clamp of some kind on the airline to restrict the flow. I just use vice-grips out of my toolbox but you can buy little clamps designed for doing this at most LFS & pet stores. Adjust the flow to what you need. For sensitive fish, slow it down to just a few drips a minute. Once the bucket is full, catch the fish & transfer them to thier new tank. Don't pour the water from the bucket back into the tank. Top the tank back up with fresh dechlorinated water from a tap (or other water source).

If you don't think there is enough water in the bag for the fish to swim in when it's emtied into a bucket, just pour it all into a smaller container & start the acclimatisation in there. Once there is enough water in the smaller container, you can pour that water & the fish into the larger bucket to continue acclimatising. When acclimating fish that like to jump, it's a good idea to cover the bucket with a towel to stop them leaping right out onto the floor (good for lowering the stress involved on all fish really).

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
We should mention the use of airline control taps in the acclimatising guides here on FL. For about $0.50, it's a lot simpler than tieing knots and/or using clamps on the air line

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nothing beats the ease & control offered by a good quality set of vice-grips. Not everyone has a set of Sidchrome grips in thier toolbox though & I sure wouldn't recommend spending $100 on them just to clamp an airline either.

I've seen the control taps at the shops, I've just never tried them because I already have something very workable. They sound like a pretty good option though.

flyin-lowe

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have a medicine dropper and what I usually do is leave the fish in bag floating in the tank and every five minutes or so I fill it up two times with tank water and put it into the bag. Depending on the fish I do this anywhere from 20 minutes to a couple hours. Then I set my net over a bucket and gently dump the fish into the net and then move them to the tank. I never put water from LFS into my tank.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nothing beats the ease & control offered by a good quality set of vice-grips. Not everyone has a set of Sidchrome grips in thier toolbox though & I sure wouldn't recommend spending $100 on them just to clamp an airline either.

I've seen the control taps at the shops, I've just never tried them because I already have something very workable. They sound like a pretty good option though.
Plus, when you pay $100 for a pair of vice-grips, you just look for an excuse to use them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 22.6%
  • No

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 73 68.9%

Top Bottom