Drip acclimation method question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by superawesome, Jul 7, 2015.

1. s

superawesome Valued Member Member

I have a simple question. If drip acclimation could take 30 - 60 minutes, add to that an additional 15 - 20 minutes ride home from your LFS from the time the fish was put in the bag (depending how far your live). At that period of time the fish is breathing his own and possibly gasping for oxygen, who knows, maybe almost dying. Would there be a need to put an air stone in the container to provide oxygen while the process is going to prevent a possible loss?

2. EricV

EricV Fishlore VIP Member

3. Bajoc

Bajoc Valued Member Member

Nah, as long as there is air in the bag it should be fine, drip acclimation will also introduce new oxygen into his water.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. OP
    OP
    s

True, there is air in the bag but there is no water movement. Fish don't live long in still waters (most fish that is) especially with lack of oxygen. I'm gonna try this method, that is why I asked.

5. alink

alink Well Known Member Member

Well, keep in mind that fish are shipped in sealed bags across the country, often times in excess of 24 hours. Although, those bags are usually much bigger to hold more air than the ones you get from the store.

6. OP
    OP
    s

I see. Thanks for all your input.

7. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

The drip if it's a few inches above the surface will help to break surface to aid in gas exchange. For what it's worth I do a slow drip over 3 hours and never had an issue.

8. Tolak

Tolak Well Known Member Member

If you're transporting the fish in a bag you've got surface motion, as you've got vehicle motion, there's your O2 transfer. It takes quite a while for fish to use up the O2 contained in a bag that's 1/3 water 2/3 air. Kept at the proper temperature, and given the proper amount of water they can easily go for days.

9. OP
    OP
    s

Success! I was able to setup a drip with an existing air line and valve I had laying around. I was able to get 3 drops per second. I'll leave that setup the way it is untouched for next fish addition. It's perfect and I hope it works always. [​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice