Drip Acclimating

BKabina

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Around here, most people float a new bag of fish in there aquarium for a while then dump them into there new home. I have had way more success keeping new occupants alive since I started to drip acclimate them.

I started with just some vinyl airline tighed in knot to adjust flow. Then I bought an in-line valve instead of a knot. Recently I been using the hard vinyl tubing for things and decided to make a new acclimating device. It’s easy to heat with a lighter or heat gun and bend to shape.

These hard lines are usually a buck or two and easier to deal with than the regular air tubing. They can be bent to hang over the tank on there own and won’t fall off.

I use an old ice cream bucket set beside the aquarium to dump the tank mates in and scoop out most of the LFS water then start the siphon. I set the valve for 2-3 drips per second and wait. After some time I’ll scoop more water out. After enough time I will net the fish or whatever and put them in the tank.

This is my version and haven’t had any problems. There are a lot of designs from a simple knotted airline as stated to more elaborate designs that hang on the tank and when the water has all been replaced you simply dump the fish into there new home.
Anyway, enough rambling on. Here’s mine.

Attachments

RyRyTheAquariumGuy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Love this set up. Frankly with the majority of species (especially freshwater) acclimation to temperature is what is most important as that is the number one cause of rapid shock syndrome. In all actuality, it takes roughly a week or two for most fish to actually adjust fully to a tanks pH, hardness, and all other things in the tank.

And we all know that a week long acclimation in a bucket is impossible LOL.

With this being said, I usually float for 30 minutes, then I scoop in some water slowly over another 20 minutes, then net them in.

Your process is much more refined and I applaud you for your dedicated effort!

I just have found that unless they are an ULTRA sensitive species, the result is all the same; temperature matters most and NO fish enjoys the process LOL! It's like taking a dog to the vet, even though you know they hate it you do it anyways because in the long run it's good for them.

BKabina

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks. I may be crazy but the fish always seem less stressed and more comfortable with the new environment when I use this method.

For some reason when I get new cherry shrimp and do this process they almost always start breeding with each other in the acclimation bucket. Lol

RyRyTheAquariumGuy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Oh I totally agree. like I honestly wouldn't change anything about your acclimation procedures. It seems to be plenty for the species you are keeping if they don 't seem that stressed!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom