Drip "Acclimating" Entire Tank to Lower TDS? (without killing shrimp)

LHanna61

HI Everyone,
Wondering what your thoughts/opinions are on putting a bucket of water over a tank and using the drip acclimation method to slowly add water to the tank in order to lower the TDS. Would this be an okay method to avoid killing shrimp?

I don't have access to RO water to "cut" my TDS number (I know that is the preferred method) but I would like to drop my GH a degree, it's currently at 9 with a TDS of 496. I have been using Equilibrium (incorrectly), I just figured out how to use it best and would like to take advantage and lower my TDS the correct way.

Thoughts?

If I HAVE to get an RO filter, I will do so.

johnbirg

Hi,
Do you have or can you get rainwater?
When I was breeding Bettas I used rainwater to soften the hard tap water and the changes needed to be done slowly. I used a bucket and syphoned the water into the tank using a piece of air hose. That worked very well.

LHanna61

Hi,
Do you have or can you get rainwater?
When I was breeding Bettas I used rainwater to soften the hard tap water and the changes needed to be done slowly. I used a bucket and syphoned the water into the tank using a piece of air hose. That worked very well.
Good thought! I could but I would prefer if the water was more readily available

LHanna61

HI Everyone--
I broke down and purchased RO water to cut my tap water for all of my tanks, my TDS is way too high and I've also started keeping Caridina shrimp so I need a slightly lower Ph.

I have successfully set it up but I was wondering if you could break down some basics for me. I'm having issues finding the answers online.

During the setup process (before the membrane goes in) you flush the system to clear out the carbon filter. When I did this, my output was about 1-gallon per minute. so at the end of my 5 minute running, I had 5 gallons of water.

When I put the membrane in, the flow slowed down MASSIVELY. I'm getting about 5-gallons (waste water) and MAYBE 1-gallon per 30 minutes (according to google that is average). I assume the RO system is just slowing the flow from my sink? and I'm not actually pumping 30 gallons of water through (since I don't have any of that water in my buckets).

I know this sounds stupid but I want to make sure I'm not causing an insanely massive spike in the water bill and wasting water unnecessarily. Also, if I'm correct, is this kind of pressure okay for the pipes? (I understand they hold water pressure all day but this is just very new to me). I just want to make sure I'm not going to blow my house up.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Cherryshrimp420
  • Question
Replies
Views
Zach72202
Replies
Views
Inactive User