Drip Acclimate Or Drop And Plop

Wolf010

Over my couple of months in the forum, I have heard some forum user say that all fish shld be drip acclimated, but others say drop and plop is the way too go after floating bag for temperature acclimation as fishes take more than a few hours to acclimate to different water chemical levels. Which is true?

Salem

Drip- always always always drip. Floating only adjusts to temperature so the water could be wildly different and cause the fish to go into shock and in some cases they will even die. The water parameters are usually similar enough to be able to adjust over a few hours and even if they are significantly different you can just drip them longer.

It's like if you got in a hot tub then suddenly jumped into a cold pool vs being in a bath that slowly cools down over a period of time.

RockinRy

I don’t think you will end up with an answer to this question. This is one of those topics that has debate on what is the best method. Basically the two arguments is the drip method allows the fish to acclimate longer to the different parameters. Then the drop and plop method reduces the exposure to ammonia from the bag water.

They are both valid ways to acclimate and you will have members swear by one and condemn the other and vice versa. The main thing I learned is try both and see what works best for you.

I usually float for 15 minutes and then I add 1/2 cup of aquarium water to the bag every 4 minutes. Once it’s full I pour half of it out and add 1/2 cup aquarium every four again. Once it is full or I am approaching an hour I put the fish in the aquarium and ditch the water.

Mongo75

I don’t think you will end up with an answer to this question. This is one of those topics that has debate on what is the best method. Basically the two arguments is the drip method allows the fish to acclimate longer to the different parameters. Then the drop and plop method reduces the exposure to ammonia from the bag water.

They are both valid ways to acclimate and you will have members swear by one and condemn the other and vice versa. The main thing I learned is try both and see what works best for you.

I usually float for 15 minutes and then I add 1/2 cup of aquarium water to the bag every 4 minutes. Once it’s full I pour half of it out and add 1/2 cup aquarium every four again. Once it is full or I am approaching an hour I put the fish in the aquarium and ditch the water.
Almost exactly how I do it as well. I use 1/4 cup rather than 1/2 and I wait 5 minutes.

RockinRy

Almost exactly how I do it as well. I use 1/4 cup rather than 1/2 and I wait 5 minutes.

My LFS used to put a ton of water in the bag so 1/2 cup made sense, now they stopped selling live fish and are just a pet supply store so I have to travel an hour to go to a pet smart. I noticed my PetSmart puts very little water in the bags so I might have to start acclimating your way. I went with 1/3 cup every 4 minutes last time, but it still seemed like I tripled the water in the bag in no time ha.

kallililly1973

I float my bags open held by a chip clip to avoid any water to escape the bag and add a turkey baster worth of water every 10 minutes for 40 minutes then put a net over a bucket and pour the water in and catch the fish in the net and drop em in and i've had good luck doing it that way. If i'm moving fish from one of my tanks to another I drop n plop cause all my parameters are basically identical with just a degree or 2 difference between tanks but that's a different subject but thought i'de add it anyways

goldface

Drop and plop. Always. Fish, shrimp, snails, doesn't matter.

Ironically, every time I read about someone having trouble with shrimp dying, 99.999% of the time they're drip acclimating for like, uh, 3 hours or longer.

max h

Drop and Plop, I have done it that way for years. I originally started during the pre internet years.

Wolf010

Drop and plop. Always. Fish, shrimp, snails, doesn't matter.

Ironically, every time I read about someone having trouble with shrimp dying, 99.999% of the time they're drip acclimating for like, uh, 3 hours or longer.
Oh, I thought the general consensus for shrimp was drip acclimation due to the sensitivity 0_o

FeederGuppies

I add water every 15-20 minutes for 2, sometimes 3, hours. It has worked so far for me, but I mainly have guppies and shrimp. The ammonia shouldn't build up in such a short amount of time. They also get enough oxygen when I add in new water. Out of the ten shrimp I've most recently acclimated using this method, only one died, I'm pretty sure due to a molting issue.

goldface

Oh, I thought the general consensus for shrimp was drip acclimation due to the sensitivity 0_o
I drop and plop all my shrimp and not one of them died, and I actually find shrimp hardier and easier than fish, especially once they get established. It's almost a set up and forget. Leave them alone for a month or half a year, except maybe the occasional top off for evaporation. Finally check up on them and they're still doing their thing.

Gone

Here's a video of pros that use drop and plop.

Wolf010

I drop and plop all my shrimp and not one of them died, and I actually find shrimp hardier and easier than fish, especially once they get established. It's almost a set up and forget. Leave them alone for a month or half a year, except maybe the occasional top off for evaporation. Finally check up on them and they're still doing their thing.
U r talking abt caridina or neocaridina? I thought cardina need a lot of maintenance and upkeep?

goldface

U r talking abt caridina or neocaridina? I thought cardina need a lot of maintenance and upkeep?
Both. I've kept Amanos, Cherries, and even a Crystal Black Shrimp.

I'm not sure you're aware, but Caridina is a genus containing many species. So there are certainly some more sensitive than others, but the most common ones available are quite hardy.

nikm128

Not really, shrimp aren't as hard as they're made out to be.
I say plop and drop, and dripping is semI useless in my opinion. Fish don't just to PH and hardness in just a few hours, or even a couple days. They take at least a couple weeks (obviously depends on how different the water is, like if you live in california and buy fish from maine) so unless you plan on keeping the fish or whatever it is alive and well in a bag for that long don't even bother with the drip.

BlackOsprey

I wish I knew what you were doing to get those kinds of results. I've spent so much money to try and get shrimp established in a planted tank to no avail.

goldface

I wish I knew what you were doing to get those kinds of results. I've spent so much money to try and get shrimp established in a planted tank to no avail.
I view them as water roaches or aquatic insects. They're prolific and tenacious. I similarly liken them to rollie pollies and springtails: nature's cleanup, and great for creating bioactive terrariums. Pretty much the same idea with shrimp. Toss in some leaves, wood, alder cones, and leave the light on to allow algae to grow, and you got a setup that is almost self-sustaining.

BlackOsprey

I view them as water roaches or aquatic insects. They're prolific and tenacious. I similarly liken them to rollie pollies and springtails: nature's cleanup, and great for creating bioactive terrariums. Pretty much the same idea with shrimp. Toss in some leaves, wood, alder cones, and leave the light on to allow algae to grow, and you got a setup that is almost self-sustaining.
Maybe I'll try again someday when I got more money... tenacious roaches or not my LFS see it fit to gouge us with $15 per unremarkable cherry shrimp. >_>

pagoda

I am in the drop/plop camp....add water from the aquarium, leave to float whilst having a coffee, add a bit more water, leave them floating a while longer and then put the net on my water change tub, pour fish out into the net and straight into the aquarium....not lost anything so far in 30+ years

I have had a few fish who were far too impatient to move into their new home and I've returned to the bag to add more water and the blighter(s) has got fed up of waiting and jumped into the aquarium and made themselves at home.....Cories are terrible for being impatient when being moved into the aquarium, they cannot wait five more minutes....they jump in and start getting jiggy with it before I have chance to pull the bag out

Piscesorkillerwhale

My lfs told me to plot and drop. Especially if you are buying from somewhere that the bag water looks dirty by the time you get home.

toeknee

Always drop and plop. Especially in cases of fish bought online. As soon as you open a bag of fish that has been closed for a few hours the ph plummets and ammonia skyrockets. Fish are much better at dealing with some minor water chemistry changes from tank to tank than they are at dealing with ammonia poisoning and ph shock so it's best to get the fish out of the water in the bag as soon as possible.

Elkwatcher

I float my bags open held by a chip clip to avoid any water to escape the bag and add a turkey baster worth of water every 10 minutes for 40 minutes then put a net over a bucket and pour the water in and catch the fish in the net and drop em in and i've had good luck doing it that way. If i'm moving fish from one of my tanks to another I drop n plop cause all my parameters are basically identical with just a degree or 2 difference between tanks but that's a different subject but thought i'de add it anyways

That's how I do it too, only difference is I add 1 drop of Prime to the bag to help if there is ammonia build up.

kallililly1973

That's how I do it too, only difference is I add 1 drop of Prime to the bag to help if there is ammonia build up.
All my fish are bought locally with only about a 5 minute drive so I don’t add the prime but I’m sure it would help for a longer trip. Good idea

Wolf010

Luckily I live in Singapore, furthest LFS from me is at most 30 min, so transportation stress is not something I have to deal with

coralbandit

I recommend drop and plop for my customers I ship fish to .Some fish spend 3+ days in the bag ..
I drip some fish if they think they are frail .. I drip my marine since many marine stores keep fish in low salinity to fight disease..
A healthy fresh water fish should be able to deal with drop and plop ..
I have not lost a fish to acclimating in over a decade .
IMO 9 out 10 times someone is convinced they acclimated improperly they are still blind to their true water parameters and quality ..

StarGirl

I have always dropped and plopped. Since my tank has had the correct parameters rarely have I lost any fish. The only ones have been Rummynose tetras. Known to be fragile anyway. Amanos all 5 were fine. Snails fine.

whux

Drop and plop. Pretty much echoing what others have said above me. Unless it's an incredibly fragile fish where I need to heed extra precaution, I've never lost a healthy fish just from this method. As long as parameters in the tank are good, the fish should be able to adjust. I float for about 30 minutes to adjust to temp, pour out the water into another bucket and catch the fish with a net and he's on his way.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SegiDream
Replies
Views
Gone
Replies
Views
Sarcasm Included
Replies
Views