Drinking your tank water?

Ryno
The eating your fish thread got me thinking about something I have wondered for a while. I think it was after 9/11 my wife asked me if we could drink the water in the tanks if there was some sort of natural/unnatural disaster that we were in a situation where we couldn't get any fresh water. At the time I just guessed and told her that the water in the tanks was probably better for us than the water that comes out of the faucet. But is this true? Would the water be healthy or just make you sick?

Annabelle
Hmmmm, I guess if you had no other option, it might be better than dying but I personally would not want to ingest the chemicals I put into my tank water for ne thing less than to attempt to not die. I imagine all those water agers and stuff would make you pretty sick if you drank enough of it.

Shawnie
The eating your fish thread got me thinking about something I have wondered for a while. I think it was after 9/11 my wife asked me if we could drink the water in the tanks if there was some sort of natural/unnatural disaster that we were in a situation where we couldn't get any fresh water. At the time I just guessed and told her that the water in the tanks was probably better for us than the water that comes out of the faucet. But is this true? Would the water be healthy or just make you sick?

ewww...id have to be really really thirsty

Lucy
Shawnie
I think after 911 a lot of us have been prepared with food n water issues..but I can't say ive ever thought of drinking my fish tank water..although I keep mine pretty saweeet, its not that great LOL

JOE MONGA
well, I'm back and drinking water from your tank is not that bad I do it all the time when I do a water change, when I suck on the tube I get a little gulp tog et the water out. I think its common sense if the fish die in the tap water what does that tell you ummmmm.

Shawnie
well, I'm back and drinking water from your tank is not that bad I do it all the time when I do a water change, when I suck on the tube I get a little gulp tog et the water out. I think its common sense if the fish die in the tap water what does that tell you ummmmm.

get a python..stop gulping!! LOL
wb btw!!

JOE MONGA
get a python..stop gulping!! LOL
wb btw!!
NO it waste to much water and theyre expensive ill stick to the old way. we need to save the water there's only 1% of drinkable water in the world.

Shawnie
NO it waste to much water and theyre expensive ill stick to the old way. we need to save the water there's only 1% of drinkable water in the world.

too much time on ya hands joe

pepetj
I'm with Joe, it's an old habit (from the 1970s) I still have. No health problems whatsoever.

Pepe
Santo Domingo

Angela_96

I have actually found a way to use my python w/o running the water constantly, I get the water going long enough to start the vaccum, then cut it off, it syphons the water out of the tank just the same... (my husband and I came up w/ that we had such a severe drought in our region last year we were preparing for just in case we were limited on water use this year)

As far as drinking my tank water? No! Theres fish poo in there!! Not to mention the chemicals we put in there, its just as bad as my local lake full of mercury and cancer causing agents (thanks to Oak Ridge being nearby)
I have bottled water stored...

Mad fish disease??? I think my kenyI (african cichlid) has that, he stays mad all the time..lol (seriously though, I didn't know there were so many fish diseases you can catch from your fish, I cut myself a lot cleaning the tanks, but I also wrestle patients w/ hiv, tb, and other nasties in the hospital.. I think my fish are cleaner)

Ryno

I used to get a lot of aquarium water in my mouth in the old days. Then I started submersing the whole vacuum into the tank to create a syphon but here is an even better way...

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/1-2-3-easy-aquarium-siphon-instructions-video.19653/

COBettaCouple
I wouldn't think it very safe to drink with the conditioner to remove chlorine, etc.. but probably still better than drinking water in a lot of areas.

Angela_96
I wouldn't think it very safe to drink with the conditioner to remove chlorine, etc.. but probably still better than drinking water in a lot of areas.

yea, I am so thankful that even in the 80s on the lake when we would stay on the houseboat my dad had that bottled water from the coal mines (the little jugs) so we always had good drinking water (I was prb the only child that is 30 now that grew up on bottled water)
after the 80s was when all the "warnings" came up on the lake where I grew up spending all my summers, and I now live a mile away from now. the mercury and cancer causing agents from Oak Ridge... let alone the fish warnings (good thing my dad was a steak man, and we had steak and burgers on the boat instead of fish!)

Bonochick
eric_m
the water goes through a filter which gets rid of most debris..as for the bacteria.. just boil it and should be safe to drink (let me know.. just in case) .. if it comes down to survival I think anything goes..

Iluvatar
It was not that bad but after a cup it started tasting weird sort of like soft if that makes any since but I think it was too warm but I drank it right out of the tank and saltwater just taste like saltwater and kind of nasty but the freshwater is something different. Never tried and I don't put chemicals in my tank but I do in my saltwater tank and don't know if it will efect me. Just tastes different. It is always good to try new things but now my tummy feels wierd. I have always wonderred that too and now I know. Its safe. I think.
Now I am going to read the thing about fish diseases passing on to humans.

I really don't think I should have drank that fishwater. Now I feel sick. For real. No worries people I feel better after eating just wanted to let you know that all that happened is my stomach hurt first. then my head then it all got better except now my ears hurt but it is okay

Annabelle
Lol, Ok, Jonathan drank fish water and now his everything hurts. I'm guessing that should answer the question. I don't even trust my tap water if I have a choice, I filter it first so I'm gonna scratch fish water off my beverage list unless I completely run outta options.

Shawnie
It was not that bad but after a cup it started tasting weird sort of like soft if that makes any since but I think it was too warm but I drank it right out of the tank and saltwater just taste like saltwater and kind of nasty but the freshwater is something different. Never tried and I don't put chemicals in my tank but I do in my saltwater tank and don't know if it will efect me. Just tastes different. It is always good to try new things but now my tummy feels wierd. I have always wonderred that too and now I know. Its safe. I think.
Now I am going to read the thing about fish diseases passing on to humans.

I really don't think I should have drank that fishwater. Now I feel sick. For real. No worries people I feel better after eating just wanted to let you know that all that happened is my stomach hurt first. then my head then it all got better except now my ears hurt but it is okay.

R U KIDDIN ME?
geeeeeez the power of suggestion must be regulated before someone gets hurt!!

Iluvatar
One who follows always is weird but one who leads isnt. My piont being I shouldnt have followed. I think my ears and head hurt of something else. I am fine now but it does upset your stomach. Roll on the floor laughing? What is that supposed to mean, ROFL. I dout you really rolled on the floor laughing but sometimes I do and can't stand up of how much I am laughing so I fall and then I am in pain and roll for no reason. Anyway the water is fine but makes your stomach hurt but gets fine after a bowl of cereal. I guess.

Lucy
You do realize, your fish poo in that water.

Iluvatar
You do realize, your fish poo in that water.

Yes I do but as long as the poo wasn't in the water that I drank.

Shawnie
just curious, how old are you?? certainly you don't have to say, was just wondering..and did u really drink the water??

Lucy
Yes I do but as long as the poo wasn't in the water that I drank.

I don't know the technical way of putting this, so someone please feel free to elaborate. When feces is released into the water, I'm sure some kind of nasty micro organisms would be released into the water.

COBettaCouple
Well, fish do release more waste than just the poo.

Lucy
Well, fish do release more waste than just the poo.

I never thought about that, omg, do fish pee?

COBettaCouple
I believe they do have a similiar biological waste process.

Angela_96
yes fish do pee and poo.. lol
Jonathan, EWE!! seriously! I would go to the doc, get a cbc and make sure you are ok! there are so many micro organisms in that water/bactieria's etc.. not to mention the fact that there are chems from treating that water that specificly say not for human consumption. (the conditoners)

and I def wouldn't do anything like that again

Iluvatar
No I feel normal and I did really drank my tank water and that was a few days ago. I don't think anything will happen to me. I am fine.

pepetj
Ok thanks to this thread I watched a video for starting the syphon, tried it today (my 5.5gal quarantine tank fishless cycle completed!) and worked perfectly... a little boring (no adrenaline rush to avoid the tank water from actually reaching inside, no spitting the remains of water tank -imagined or real, I never know for sure... but other than that, clean and cool).

I wouldn't mind drinking it if I had to... (worst stuff has gone inside my GI system before and I survived).

LOL

Butterfly
In an all out emergency where no other water was/or would be available I can see drinking tank water but ... as was already stated eeewww.
This sign hangs in my fish room( I thought it was cute at the time )

COBettaCouple
I WANT a sign like that!!!

Butterfly
Got it at the Flea Market. I think Dino and Gunnie have those also LOL
Carol

Shawnie
Its very appropriate for this thread!

although a big hammer at the end or beginning would be cool!!

Alessa
OMG that is soooo funny I want one!

Iluvatar
We all want one now that is so hilarious. It made me forget about my koi.

Butterfly
I could always post just a pic of the sign and you could copy it? The sign is metal and was originally yellow but the sun bleached it when it was outside with the tubs last summer.
Carol

unfster
I am wondering if one could in fact drink aquarium water? I

have no plans on doing so, but my buddys and I where having a bet.

Long story short I couldn't find it online, I would assume that my fish are fine in there, so I would be too?!?

Jaq
Here is one of the things I sometimes see on the "Helpful Tips" sidebar:

Helpful Tips

Did you know that aquarium water actually tastes really good?

That was a joke. Don't taste the tank water.

^^^These are tips... So maybe this should help you?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
blandk
Replies
Views
Chris1212
Replies
Views
Frank the Fish guy
Replies
Views