Drink dispenser shrimp tank

Discussion in 'Akari_32' started by Akari_32, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I stole Zee's idea, and made myself a shrimp tank today :) It's only a gallon. Kind of small, but we'll see how it works. I went out and bought 10 Ghost Shrimp (obviously expecting a few of them to die, since they always do), and I moved gravel, plants and driftwood from the 10, and a nerite snail. It's looks good, and should look awesome when it grows out!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stock:
    10 Ghost Shrimp
    1 Nerite Snail

Plants:
    Guppy Grass
    Java Fern
    Christmas Moss
    Salavinia

2. aquatic

aquatic Valued Member Member

Looks good!

But does the spout allow you to dispense feeder shrimp one at a time for your other tanks? :D

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  3. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

That is pretty cool! Though I am biased, being fond of shrimp flavored water and all. ;)
    Do you like the flowers on there? If they're not etched you could probably scape them off.

I like the driftwood, its a perfect piece for the tank imo and I'll look forward to seeing it grown out. :)

4. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

Hahaha. I could totally drop shrimp into other tanks likes that XD

I'm still deciding on the flowers. They are not etched, so I may scrape them off at some point.

Isn't that a great little peice? I always loved it :)

5. Matt B

It is, it has a good shape that has character which, imo is hard to find on the smaller pieces. I had a bunch of cool small pieces that wouldn't work in a larger tank because they're so small but too cool to throw away. My daughter solved that by dumping baby powder all over them AND my giant chunk of ironwood I was saving for my next big tank. :(

6. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

Not bad for a $4 gig, huh? :) My lfs gets in really nice peices.

7. Matt B

Not bad at all! My lfs sells aged grapevine by the pound but they have a sign over it saying "not for aquarium use" so I get it all to myself. ;) Its never been sprayed or anything, they just sell it for reptiles and are under the impression grapevine can't go in an aquarium.

8. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

That's funny XD I wonder why they think that...?

9. ZeeZ

ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

Looks good! I'm guessing natural sunlight is your source of light?

And you're not the only one that's stolen my idea. ;) Nor do I doubt you'll be the last.

10. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

Thanks! Yeah, that's why I chose plants that I have mass amounts of lol

11. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

Ok, update.

Lost a few shrimp, as expected. I think, too, that the lid is a bit too air tight, and the mouth of the thing is too wide for the lid to really be able to sit cock-eyed on there. I may have to take the seal out, or devise a plan to rig up something that holds the lid up off the tank. Also I think it's going through a bacterial bloom.

12. Ziggi

Ziggi Well Known Member Member

"Imitation is the highest/greatest/sincerest form of flattery" :) I'd try it too but I'm busy trying to hide tanks, I'm sure that'd make my MTS even worse!

Akari - is there a rubber/plastic insert on the lid? maybe put another "washer" in there using airline tubing or if the current plastic is thick enough, cut a hole in it somewhere?

Maybe the shrimp will like the flowers ... kind of like a privacy screen :;laughing

13. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

Yeah, it's a big rubber o-ring thing. It's real thin, like a strand of cooked angel hair pasta.

14. Ziggi

If its what I'm thinking, the glass dips down and the plastic just covers it a little to suction the lid down, I think you may be able to remove a small section with scissors. Just enough to allow air to pass. Like a hole-punch sized hole or smaller? *shrug* just my thoughts. Good luck!

15. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

FIrst off, great job on the tank!

Love the shrimp dispensing comment haha.

As for the air tight problem, I would just remove the gasket all together and see if that helps, you can always put it back later if needed. If it still seals up too well you could just use some silicon to make some spots for the lid to sit up on to allow the air to exchange from the tank.

16. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

I'm going to as soon as i get a chance. for now it's sitting on there as crooked as I could get it.

I'm down the three shrimp, which is where I wanted to be in the first place. Lol i guess i should remove the dead ones <.<

17. f

featherblue Well Known Member Member

Its so weird the color they turn when they die. Very much a cocktail color compared to their transparent......good luck with the lid and air exchange.....hopefully you'll be set after u pull the o ring

18. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

Update 12/10

Due to recent issues with one the dogs, I've let this tank go to poop. All the shrimp have died, and the water smelled nasty. I did a huge water change, removed all the dead shrimp, and filled it back up with Tetra AquaSafe and Prime. The snail is still kicking, though, and there's some diatoms starting.

So, no shrimp, and one snail. All the plants seem fine, as well. I removed the o-ring, and when the shrimp in my 20 long start having babies, I'll move some more in there.

19. Ziggi

Sorry for your losses :(

20. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

I'd rather it be the shrimp than the dog, I suppose... lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice