Drilling A Tank

grump299

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
good evening everyone.
I’m researching on saltwater set up. I want to start small I have a 30gl not being used what I need to know is are do all tanks use tempered glass and if not can I tell if my tank is or isn’t befor I decide if I’m drilling for the sump or use a overflow box.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Most tanks only the bottom is tempered. I called a couple glass places years ago about drilling my tank and was told they would try their best but no guarantee that they wouldn't break it.

grump299

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That’s what I thought to but I wanted a second opinion. It is only a 30 so I will take my chances with getting it drilled and if it breaks I will replace it.
Another question if I do get it drilled what size hole do I need and can I use silicone calking to attach the corner overflow to the glass.

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
grump299 said:
That’s what I thought to but I wanted a second opinion. It is only a 30 so I will take my chances with getting it drilled and if it breaks I will replace it.
Another question if I do get it drilled what size hole do I need and can I use silicone calking to attach the corner overflow to the glass.
That is going to depend on the in flow of your pump. I would guess that since you're only going to be using a 30 gallon tank, your hole should be to fit a fitting nozel for a 2 inch pipe.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would use bulk head fittings they would be more leak proof and with stand moving for maintenance. I was thinking of doing it to my 75 so i didn't really want to chance it. I agree 2" should fit any need you want to throw at it.

grump299

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok on the bulk heads if I put a 2” hole in with a bulkhead can I then control the flow with a valve on the line somewhere to slow the flow to match the return pump. Sorry about a lot of questions but I want to get all the research I can befor I start.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You could do a valve. A gate valve would be easier to adjust than a ball valve. Would take a little time to get exact but yea it would work. That way you could have your water level higher than the holes.

grump299

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Now with installing the overflow in the tank can I use silicone to put it in the corner or is there a special one I need to use for the fish. And what size tank should I use for the sump I’m going DIY my own so I can customize it to what I want.

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
grump299 said:
Now with installing the overflow in the tank can I use silicone to put it in the corner or is there a special one I need to use for the fish. And what size tank should I use for the sump I’m going DIY my own so I can customize it to what I want.
For a sump, I would think a 10 gallon would be sufficient since it's a third of the size of your tank. As far as silicone, regular clear 100 % silicone used to seal things like bathtubs is fine. Silicone is relatively inert once it has cured...it cannot be made soluable again and won't leach any type of chemicals or by products into the water.

grump299

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok thx for the help that’s enough information to get me started my plans if I have anymore questions I will be back.

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No need to place a valve unless you want to run multiple drains. The flow rate will match the return automatically.

Culprit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
grump299 said:
Yes, use fish safe silicone. Any 100% silicone will work, no mold proof, or quickcure, or anything like that.

As big as you can. It will give you more stability and more water volume.

Agreed with aussie. What happens is water level starts halfway up overflow. It overflows down, and starts filling up sump while water level goes down. You should have the sump and overflow matches so even if your pump fails it will not overflow the sump, so figure it out and get a big enough sump for your overflow so when all the water flows into the overflow, it won't overflow your sump. Anyways, water flows into overflow, raising water in sump and lowering water level in tank. As more water flows into your sump less water flows into overflow as water level is getting lower.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom