30 Gallon Tank Driftwood

Kristyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hey guys, I just recently set up my 30 gallon tank about a month ago. I used all of the water from my established 5 gallon tank and transferred it into this new one. I added some plants and then let the water cycle for about a week. I don't have any readings yet but I will post them asap. Anyways, I bought some driftwood from petco and allowed it to sit in a bucket of water as the directions recommended until the water turned to a light tea color. I know that it's possible that my tank isn't completely cycled yet, but could the cloudiness come from the driftwood?

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
welcome to the forum!

If you don't soak your wood long enough, the tannins will continue to stain it a tea-like color. But the wood doesn't make it cloudy, per se.

Are you currently cycling this tank? Did you cycle it with your existing fish?

When you transferred your water over, did you also borrow filter media from that existing tank?

What are your readings? When you say "I don't have readings yet", do you mean you just haven't taken them today? Or you haven't been taking them at all.....

Last edited:

Kristyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok, so I used the Tetra 5-in-1 test strips and everything in the tank turned out to be normal. Nitrate-10, Nitrite- 0, GH- <50, KH-180 and PH- 7.6. I didn't use any of the existing filter media from the tank but I did use the same water and rocks that were in my previous tank. I never took any readings (I know, it was bad of me to assume the levels were alright) but everything turned out to be normal. It's been a month and I placed my 3 female bettas in the tank after a week and I just recently added the neons. It seems like the tank is only cloudy though when the light is on. With the lights off, it's crystal clear. Could it be an algea bloom? I have 14 or so live plants..

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
WELCOME to the Forum!!!!

Cloudyness after adding driftwood is usually a bacterial bloom. Not worry it will clear up on it's own. The bacteria are feeding on any old organics on/in the wood. Wiill not affect your tank or fish. The tannins stain in the water can last a while, but is usually is slow and your regular water changes will keep it from getting too dark.

It can also lower your Ph...SLOWLY...so your regular water changes will keep your tank stable too.

Last edited:

Kristyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thank you both

Yeah, the fish seem pretty active and healthy so like you said, I don't think it has affected them at all. Hopefully everything continues to go well, this is the first largeish tank I've ever kept, but other than the water clarity so far so good

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom