Driftwood

drannorius

I have some driftwood I want to add to a new tank I am setting up. It was store bought if that matters. The problem is that I don't have a pot large enough to boil it. How bad will it be if I just add it in as is? Are there alternatives to treat it other than boiling?

Islandvic

Will half of the driftwood fit in the pot?

If so, just boil half at a time.

jdhef

Welcome to FishLore! I hope you enjoy the site.

Mandarabe

Boiling driftwood does 3 things...
helps the wood absorb the water so it sinks faster
Kills any bacteria/fungus in the wood which could infect your tank
Helps remove tannins so your tank doesn’t look like a huge cup of tea after a few days

If you have a spare bucket you can simply put the driftwood in the bucket and add hot/boiling water to it, either boiled from your stove/kettle, or just hot water from your tap. Try to put enough to cover the wood, but if your bucket isn’t big enough, you can just turn the wood over every day or two - just change the water whenever you notice it getting a dark colour, which is the tannins leeching out of the wood.

Using hot/boiling water will help with removing the tannins and killing off anything you don’t want in your tank, but is not essential... I believe most shop bought wood is already Pre-treated to help remove tannins and kill off anything in the wood, but just chucking it into the tank will just cause it to float, so soaking it first will help you to sink the wood, instead of having it bob about in your tank for weeks.

drannorius

Islandvic said:
Will half of the driftwood fit in the pot?

If so, just boil half at a time.
It is large enough that even trying that a good chunk wouldn't be affected. I hate to spend $70 on a pot I will never ever use again most likely. Appreciate the input though.

Latest threads

Top Bottom