Driftwood

1. Esimm03

Esimm03 Well Known Member Member

Hi, so while I was on holiday in Scotland I picked up since lovely pieces of driftwood, some were from a saltwater loch and the others from the beach.

I will either use them for my aquarium or cactus garden.

If I use them for my aquarium do I need to treat them as they might raise salinity or release toxins ?

Thanks,
    Ethan

7846f3ff7357739fc5e53c24e339fbdc.jpg

2. kayla.s

kayla.s Well Known Member Member

Just soak them for about a week. Remember to change the water probably every 2 days

3. michaelh

michaelh Valued Member Member

I would also boil them a couple of hours, just to make sure to get rid of any bacteria or anything living inside. Very nice pieces by the way, enjoy them and good luck!

4. kayla.s

Yes every time you change the water I'd boil the new water

5. michaelh

michaelh Valued Member Member

I actually meant to boil the driftwood itself.

6. O

OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

Dilution is your friend. Soak them in clean water and change the water a few times. They'll be safe quickly. I do boil DW to kill the pathogens that may or may not cause harm but some are very against that idea. It makes little sense to me to not be safe as possible if the DW is small enough to boil.

7. OP
    OP
    Esimm03

Hi,

Thanks for the help ,

The beach is a 2 second walk from the hotel so I might collect more when the tourists have gone.

I've noticed that some of the pieces have little clams on, should I remove them by hand or will they fall off?

Ethan

c2a2f2edac55554de1c205aae0c6a192.jpg

P.s, anyone know what they are?, They look like some sort of roots:
    eb21eea16ccdc26ab1e4296f410b9b22.jpg

8. kayla.s

@michaelh if the water that you add is boiling, then yes that boils the wood. I'd say remove the clams by hand. It'll be easier to make sure it gets done

9. OP
    OP
    Esimm03

Ok, I think ill put the white curly one in my cactus garden and the taller one into the tank.

Will these one release tannins?

Thanks,
    Ethan

10. kayla.s

Well since you picked it came from the sea, most tannins should have leached out by now. The boiling of the wood is to help soak out the salt and to kill off any unwanted tag alongs on/inside the wood ;)