driftwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebbandflow

Valued Member
Reaction score
What changes will driftwood make to my aquarium... levels and all. And my mom brought up a good point. Will driftwood start rotting in the tank?

n0kturnal

Reaction score
driftwood lowers your water pH level. I dont think it'll rot in your tank. I think its a special type of tree. I found it makes the water get a yellow tinge, but i've heard that can be removed by boiling it.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If you buy aquarium safe driftwood and soak, boil, and rinse it A LOT of times, then it will neither stain your water nor change your pH. However, if you put that driftwood in your water as it is, then it most certainly will stain your water brownish color and will lower your pH a lot. Aquarium safe driftwood should never rot in your tank. Here is another post about driftwood that should be helpful to you:

I have 2 pieces of aquarium safe driftwood it my 30 gallon tank. I soaked, rinsed, and boiled it many many times and for long periods. I put the driftwood in my tank once it completely stopped leaching any color. That's when I knew it was going to be safe to use. It did  not change or affect my pH in any way.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I might add that some people purposely don't rinse the driftwood. In an Amazon tank with, say, tetras, the stained water and lower pH recreates the natural conditions of the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom