Driftwood won't sink

1. daltonwiggill Initiate Member

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

3. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore!!

I have a piece thats been in my tank over a year and it still wont stay down without some slate on it LOL...good luck with yours though!

4. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

5. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

you could try and tie some aquarium safe rocks to is, but as Shawnie said it does not always work. good luck.

6. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

I have driftwood that has suction cups attached to it. I can suction the driftwood to the back or sides of the tank and not worry about it floating. The natural curves of the wood make it so only a few spots are directly against the glass and my fishies can still swim through and around it. :)

7. peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

Just wanna Welcome you to Fishlore! :sign0016:

8. flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

I checked your aquarium info to see how long the tank had been set up to see how long you have been trying to sink the wood. First off for the driftwood sometimes it can take weeks for a small piece to soak enough to sink. As others have said it can take longer depending on the type and size of the wood.

My bigger concern is that you just started your tank a few days ago and you say you do not know about the nitrogen cycle. You have a 60L tank with neon tetras and bala sharks. Even if the tank was cycled a bala shark will grow too large for that tank. You need to read up on the nitrogen cycle as I am almost positive the fish you have will die shortly in a tank that is cycling. You have a few options. There is a product called tetra safe start that can be added with your fish and will help get your tank cycled. This is the only product that seems to work consstantly, no others. Or you can maybe return the fish to were you got them and see if you can get store credit and then do a fishless cycle. I don't know how hardy bala's are but the neon tetras and not real hardy fish and need to be in an established tank. In the mean time I would recommend you get some Prime and do daily water changes until you figure out how to get the tank cycled.

Your fish waste will produce ammonia which is toxic to fish. Ammonia turns into nitrites which is also toxic to fish. The last product is nitrates which at a low level are not harmful to fish. In a cycled tank there is good bacteria that eat up the ammonia and nitrites and you will just have a positive test for nitrates. In a new tank with a new filter there is no bacteria to eat up the ammonia so your fish WILL die of ammonia poisoning. Search this forum for nitrogen cycle and you can get a more detailed description of what is going on in a tank. This is just a quick overview.
    The nitrogen cycle is the sole reason many people by a tank, fill it with fish and then they start dieing shortly after. The pest store often times won't tell you this because they want to sell you the tank and the fish. It can take anywhere from a week to a few months to get the tank ready to have fish in it depending on which method you use to cycle the tank.

9. potatos Member Member

flyin-lowe is completely right, and your fish can easily die. be sure to figure this out before the driftwood. but once you fix that, you can tie weights to the wood and put it in a bucket. the wood will slowly become waterlogged and sink. it will also release tennins, which will stain your water like tea and chagne your water chemistry. this is why some people soak their wood in buckets for a few weeks prior to adding it to your tank. once the log sinks on its own and the water in the bucket is clear, you can add it to the tank.

10. Teishokue Well Known Member Member

what i did was boil the driftwood for 5 hours. I know its a bit much but was just making sure all the bactera/microoganisms would die and i put it in my tank and it sank. both pieces.

11. Tim Wescott Initiate Member

You can also use aquarium safe silicone and silicone it to a peice of slate.......or drill a hole in the slate and screw the driftwood onto the slate.