Driftwood Won't Sink

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by heather87, Apr 13, 2017.

1. heather87

heather87 New Member Member

I bought a piece of driftwood from my local fish shop today (along with my new green phantom pleco!!). The driftwood is attached to slate, and it STILL won't sink. Am I doing something wrong? Are there any tips to get it to stay on the bottom? I believe the guy at the store said it was red cedar from North Carolina.

2. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

Boil it, for awhile!

3. OP
    OP
    heather87

I'm not sure I have a pot big enough to do this lmao

4. APierce

Maybe try adding some boiling water to a bucket with the driftwood in it?

5. OP
    OP
    heather87

I've also read that you only boil driftwood if it's something you found outside and need to disinfect it and get the tanins out. Is this still true when it comes to driftwood bought in pet stores?

6. James17

James17 Well Known Member Member

You will have to use a heavier piece of slate or just wait for it to sink, I've been waiting two months for one of mine to sink.

7. Bek

Bek Valued Member Member

Mine floated for a while after I cut off a chunk, I just left it to float until I could think of a way to weigh it down without it looking odd in my tank
    And then it sunk, finally. I think it just takes time. Took mine about 4 days.

Also it happened overnight so I dont know how gradually it sunk, I dont know if it could potentially trap your new fish.
    Goodluck

8. Bek

Bek Valued Member Member

Two months?? Oh my. Didnt imagine some could take that long

9. James17

Really depends on the density of the wood I think. Some will sink sooner, I think boiling helps speed things up though.

10. OP
    OP
    heather87

yeah i hope it doesn't take that long :( I'm afraid that the slate will hit the glass of my tank and break it lol I don't need 125 gallons of water on my floor :p

11. APierce

I'd boil it if i got it at a fish store or not, you never know how long it sat there, what was put on it, what it was exposed to, etc.

12. James17

If your going to float it you will need to remove the slate, stuff happens.

13. Bek

Bek Valued Member Member

Maybe you can use fishing weights or something of that nature. They're small so you could tie them to the bottom side and hide with substrate. A little more inconspicuous, but might not work any better than your slate chunk. Guess it depends in the size of things really
    Goodluck!!

14. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

I have a large piece of wood in my 40 gallon breeder. I basically put it in a garbage bag full of warm water in the bathroom tub and soaked it for a few days until it no longer floated in the bag. You could also soak it in a large Tupperware container depending on big the wood is.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice