Driftwood Too Large to Boil

ryl33a

I recently got a large piece of mopani driftwood for my 45 gal. Usually I boil the wood to get rid of excess tannins and any bacteria, etc. but this piece is too large to fit in any of my pots for boiling. (about 1.5 ft long) I currently have it soaking in a large Tupperware container, but I’ve heard the soaking process can take weeks, months even. Is there something I can do to help speed up the process? Thanks in advance!

!poogs!

I don’t think there is a way to escape mopani tannins.

Even if you boil the heck out of that thing, you will still have tannins for weeks. Other than the look of weak tea in the tank water it isn’t bad for the fish.

As for bacteria you can do a peroxide water soak for about 1 week.

Upvote 0

MacZ

It's more than enough to boil a big pot of water, put the driftwood in a heat resistant container in appropriate size and brew it over. You don't have to boil the whole piece completely. Boiling neither really helps with tannins nor bacteria, but with soaking and sinking. Then let it soak for two weeks in that container changing water every few days (3-4). Most of the biofilm will have build up and be gone again in that time and some tannins have leached out. By no means all but some.

I have no further tipps on getting tannins out, as I want them all in my tank

Upvote 0

ryl33a

I don’t think there is a way to escape mopani tannins.

Even if you boil the heck out of that thing, you will still have tannins for weeks. Other than the look of weak tea in the tank water it isn’t bad for the fish.

As for bacteria you can do a peroxide water soak for about 1 week.
Thanks so much! I don’t mind the tannins that much as long as my water doesn’t look totally black.

It's more than enough to boil a big pot of water, put the driftwood in a heat resistant container in appropriate size and brew it over. You don't have to boil the whole piece completely. Boiling neither really helps with tannins nor bacteria, but with soaking and sinking. Then let it soak for two weeks in that container changing water every few days (3-4). Most of the biofilm will have build up and be gone again in that time and some tannins have leached out. By no means all but some.

I have no further tipps on getting tannins out, as I want them all in my tank
Thank you!! That’s very helpful!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
TheAnglerAquarist
  • Question
  • mileshasabrowndogenm
  • Driftwood
Replies