Driftwood too big

1. Linda4088

Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

I bought two nice small pieces of Driftwood a few weeks ago and boiled them for hours. Boiled on half then the other then left them in water a couple of days and they sank right in my tank with no darkness. Today I bought a larger piece but I don't think my pot will even go half and half because it's much longer. The middle will never get boiled. Can I just boil both ends then leave it in water for a longer period of time? My last two didn't have any tannins and sank right down. How long would it have to sit to get all the tannins out?

2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

You can try it out. You can also pour hot water over the piece of driftwood since it's too big to boil

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. Jim

Jim Well Known Member Member

I have pieces in which there were very little tannins and then I had one piece that I actually threw away. Boiled it for 6 hours and put it in a 5 gallon can of water. It never stopped flowing dark, dark tannins.

4. AquaticBrandon

How long did you have the big piece of driftwood soaking for? Usually bigger pieces take longer to cure than smaller pieces

5. OP
    OP
    Linda4088

. That's what I'm asking. How long do I have to let it soak to get all the tannins out?

6. AquaticBrandon

Most of my driftwood pieces to about a week to cure. You should let the driftwood soak for a week or two. Change the water every day and the water should get less brown as the days pass. You're never gonna get the water to be crystal clear because you will still have that small yellow tint in the water. Adding hot water helps speed up the process. I can't really tell you Exactly how long I'll take because every piece of driftwood is different. Some take a few weeks and some take months. Hope this helps

7. Marie1

Marie1 Well Known Member Member

Run carbon in the filter, and do frequent water changes if you don't like the color of the water. Other wise just let it be. It will eventually leech out all the tannins. It's really impossible to give a time frame.

8. OP
    OP
    Linda4088

It's in the bucket now. Should I fill the bucket with hot water and put carbon in it? There's no color in the water now but I put it in cold water.

9. AquaticBrandon

I don't think you should put carbon in the bucket that you are Soaking the driftwood in. You're already gonna change the water in the bucket every day so there's no need to put carbon in it.

10. terrynachos

terrynachos Valued Member Member

right on this is what i needed to hear! i dropped a giant piece in my tank the other day and didnt know about boiling it so yup water is dark as the amazon river lol, but the fish seem ok and not bothered so i will let it work itself out. thanks