Driftwood staining substrate?

Bluejay010101

Hi all,

Tank: 10 gal, 80F, ph 7.5, 0, 0, 5-10ppm, filtered. Wc 1x/week sometimes 2x/week with gravel vac. 1 betta, lots of plants.

My driftwood seems to be staining the fine gravel, just the bottom where it sits. I lift it up each wc each week to gravel. I thought it was the root tabs I put in there, but I pulled those out and scooped some of the substrate out then filled it in with the normal colored substrate. But here it's back again this wc. Is it the tannins??

I take it out and scrub it down with each wc as well.

It's nowhere else in the tank so it's prob the wood. Is this normal?? I boiled it for 2 hrs before use and it's been in the tank for a month or so since I rescaped. It still smells like wet wood (kinda rotten eggs). It's spiderwood. There's still white biofilm that covers the thicker part of the bottom. But the branches are fine.

Should I toss it, is it harmful?

Normal:

Here's the wood, the rock isn't on there anymore as it's waterlogged:

Thank you so much!

Betta'sAnonymous

The smell is probably coming from the white biofilm stuff. That eventually goes away altogether once it has fed off the remaining nutrients in the wood. Yeah, i suppose the tannins could possibly stain the gravel if they are concentrated enough. I tend to soak my driftwood for weeks before it goes into my tanks. I am not a huge fan of the tea water look and i want to make sure the wood sinks!

I would be careful about scrubbing the wood as your beneficial bacteria makes it's home there, too.

Bluejay010101

Tysm! I scrub it in old tank water. Just the little bits here and there. I looked at the bottom and yep, it's thick so there's def tannins leaching out.

Betta'sAnonymous said:
The smell is probably coming from the white biofilm stuff. That eventually goes away altogether once it has fed off the remaining nutrients in the wood. Yeah, i suppose the tannins could possibly stain the gravel if they are concentrated enough. I tend to soak my driftwood for weeks before it goes into my tanks. I am not a huge fan of the tea water look and i want to make sure the wood sinks!

I would be careful about scrubbing the wood as your beneficial bacteria makes it's home there, too.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom