Driftwood Rotting In Tank?

Madison1017

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi guys,

I'm currently fishless cycling a 5 gallon future betta tank. I wanted it to be an all natural tank so the only decor in it is live plants, wood, rocks and sand. The problem is, the wood in my tank is completely rotting/falling apart in the water and making my tank look absolutely disgusting. I have 3 pieces of cholla wood and a small piece of spider wood which I got all off of eBay. I boiled everything, so it doesn't release any tannins, but it's almost like the outer 'bark' of the wood is softening and melting off like slime. When I take the pieces out and wash them off, a slime-like coat comes off and then it's hard again underneath. It's driving me mad and I've done 2 water changes just to clean my tank up which I know isn't ideal when cycling. I know it's normal for wood to develop a temporary biofilm over it, which did happen within a day or two of being in the tank, but this is different. Anyone else experience this and/or know how to help? Also want to mention the cholla wood I have in my other tank doesn't do this so I suspect it's mostly the spider wood.

Many thanks!

Bry

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Can you post any pictures? What does the "rot" look like?

Madison1017

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Can you post any pictures? What does the "rot" look like?
I didn't take a picture before I cleaned it unfortunately but looking at Google, this picture looks the closest

Screenshot_20190325-020350.png

It's darker and thicker though, not as translucent, and literally looks like if bark were slimey. It falls off in chunks and will just sit on my sand. I'm guessing it's some kind of fungus similar to biofilm but I just want to know if it will stop coming back at some point

CandyCane701

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The pic looks like black beard algae. My advice is to scrape every bit of bark off, and then to do a thorough boiling again. See is that helps.

Madison1017

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The pic looks like black beard algae. My advice is to scrape every bit of bark off, and then to do a thorough boiling again. See is that helps.
I'll try boiling it again but thankfully it's definitely not black beard algae (in my tank at least, can't say for the picture). Hoping that boiling it again will do the trick

candiedragon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's not an overgrowth of bacteria? Post a pic if it happens again, that will best help us help you identify it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom