Driftwood problem.

1. hasknight Member Member

Ive boiled it for 12 hours. It sinks. Doesnt give tannins when its in normal water.
    But if i boil it still gives them out. Plus there is some black oily substance coming from it. Any idea? Want to be sure before i put it in.

2. Jim Well Known Member Member

I have literally had a piece of knarled wood ( like a huge knot) that would never stop oozing tannin and oils. Finally chucked it.

3. Aichmalotizo Well Known Member Member

What kind of wood is it? Honestly, I've never had an issue with the yellow tannins add to water, but the oil sounds bad

4. hasknight Member Member

It stopped the tannins but the black oil? What is the black oil?
    Im unaware of the type of wood.

5. Aichmalotizo Well Known Member Member

Don't put it in the tank if you don't know what kind of wood it is. Some can leach some pretty nasty stuff, you need to identify it before going any further

6. hasknight Member Member

Yes thats why its not in the tank yet. I want to make sure before doing anything. Its not pinewood for sure as those dont grow anywhere near us. Can you identify it with a picture?

7. oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello has...

Driftwood you get outside will dissolve in the tank in a few months. Holes start to show up and in no time it comes apart. Boiling the piece just quickens the dissolving process. The oily substance would definitely concern me. But, it's your call. It might be better to pick up something from the local pet store that's sure to be aquarium safe.

Old

8. hasknight Member Member

The pet stores dont have any driftwood or even live plants so im stuck with the diy ones. Any other help?

9. oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello again...

Have you thought about getting something online?

Old

10. hasknight Member Member

I live in a country where no one delivers. Literally. Ive tried anything. I felt bad when i couldnt find neon tetras anywhere. Not even online. And ordered from the only online store here and they still havent delivered 3 months later.
    So yes. Diy is my only option.

11. Aichmalotizo Well Known Member Member

You need to read this. http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/mobiquo/smartbanner/images/tapatalk-banner-logo.png. I would do nothing with wood you can't identify. That's a discussion and list on aquariim safe wood

12. hasknight Member Member

I cant open if theres a link.

Thats why im here asking you guys.

13. aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Do cedar trees or any evergreen trees besides pine trees grow in your area. You don't want to use any wood that contains resins. Alison

14. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

It's OK to get driftwood outside hasknight, it won't "dissolve" any faster than the wood from a pet store. Do you have any lakes or swamps near you? Wood there may be better preserved by having been soaking in tannin-rich water. Which means that your tank will be tannic but the wood will last longer.

Does the black stuff come from the same spot every time? If so perhaps you can cut that part out?

15. Aichmalotizo Well Known Member Member

1. Manzanita
    2. Colophospermum mopane (AKA mopani, mopane drift wood)
    3. Chola (cholla, choya) wood
    4. Rose wood roots
    5. Malaysian drift wood
    6. Ribbon wood
    7. Cypress
    8. Oak
    9. Mesquite
    10. Cedar - some are iffy on this one.
    11. Grapevines - reported to rot quickly
    12. Ironwood
    13. Beefwood
    14. Australian Pine
    15. Azalea
    16. Rhododendron
    17. Madrona
    18. Crepe Myrtle
    19. Western Hemlock Roots
    20. Contorted/Corkscrew Willow
    21. Osage Orange / Bodark
    22. Buttonwood
    23. Baldcypress / Taxodium
    24. Cherry trees- Maybe OK after aging, I would not risk them fresh.
    25. Tulip poplars- Liriodendron tulipifera
    26. Linden trees- Tilla sp
    27. Maple- Acer sp.
    28. Glossy Ligustrum, Ligustrum lucidum
    29. Mangrove

All woods need to be dead and seasoned. In the case of some of those they need to be dead for a real long time. All should last well in an aquarium.

16. hasknight Member Member

It doesnt come out when its in normal temperature water so can i put it in still? It doesnt flow. Ill attach a picture.
    And no i live in a city so it might be hard to find a swamp. I know it might seem like i dont even try but ive thought of and tried everything i can and then ended up here.

Edit: [​IMG]
    You can see where it comes out. Its dry now. I stopped boiling it as i wouldnt want to waste time on a piece before I'm sure i can use it.

17. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Do you know what tree it came from? Was it near or under a tree that it might have come from?

18. hasknight Member Member

No. Plus i dont know anything about tree types or else i would have atleast have an idea because many of the trees that grow here are common.
    I do have a trunk piece i got from the same place. Can it be identified by that?

19. cichlidman Well Known Member Member

put it in a tub outside and soak it for a month or 2 change the water every week or so and add a test fish to the tub after bit . Im sure it sounds harsh but 1 is better than all of them.

20. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

It looks like some sort of a pine or cedar to me but if you found it next to a shrub then I thought you could take a picture of it and we could help you identify it.

Have you touched the black stuff that comes out of it? Is it sticky? Oily? Does it have a smell?