Driftwood+plants

1. Craig Well Known Member Member

how do i go about treating a piece of driftwood before puttin it in2 my tank ?? i also got a few plants put they came in pots with foam around them at the bottom how do i got about planting them without the pots ??

thanks 4 advice every1

C W

2. Craig Well Known Member Member

does puttin driftwood in2 a cool water tank effect the goldfish in any way ?? i was just wonderin if i should put it in at all now
    ????
    help me please lol!

C W

3. vin Well Known Member Member

You can take the plants out of the pots along with the foam, which is called "rock wool". Gently pull the rock wool away from the plants being careful not to destroy the root system and bury the roots in the gravel.

As far as your driftwood is concerned - I assume this is from a freshwater source and not a saltwater source correct? If so, you should rinse it well with tap water washing off any loose dirt that may exist - no detergents whatsoever and then add it to your tank. If it is from anywhere but a fish store, I wouldn't use it as it may be loaded with parasites.

I do not believe it will effect the goldfish at all.

4. Craig Well Known Member Member

im just leaving my plants in the pot i only got 2 small 1s the driftwood looks well in my tank the colour of the driftwood has come out as a firey browny red colour sets my tank off really well the cloudiness due 2 my tank cyclin has started 2day and its v cloudy lol

do i hav 2 feed my plants?? like add any treatments 2 keep them goin strong ?? 2 b honest i dont like adding treatments 2 my tank anymore the less the better

C W

5. vin Well Known Member Member

Craig,

Keep in mind that it's fine to keep your plants in the pots, but the rock wool and pot will restrict growth and the spread of the root system. It could eventually due more harm to the plants than good.

As for fertilizing, with two small plants you shouldn't need it as long as you have the proper light conditions. The fish waste produces nutirients that should be adequate and with your water changes, the iron in the water will help as well. The only time I would add fert is if the plants seem to be dying off.

The cloudiness in the water will eventually go away...Good luck with the cycle!

Vinnie

6. Craig Well Known Member Member

CHEERS VIN THANKS 4 THE ADVICE!!!!!

C W :D

7. vin Well Known Member Member

My pleasure mate! ;)

8. Jason Well Known Member Member

Craig you'll probably need the pots and tough plant varieties as goldfish dig up plants and enjoy eating them. Go with vin and remove the and then fill it with the gravel and something to stop them uprooting it or forget the pot but have something anchoring it.

You can fert. if you want i only just started but if they're hardy plants you dont really need it. The only reason I started is that i can get fert along with other Aquarium products heaps cheap. Lighting is the most important thing.

As for the driftwood read up on the many articles Isabella posted when she was treating her driftwood. What kind of filter do you have? Did you rinse your gravel enough because usually the cloudiness should have gone, in my experience which is only two tanks.

Good 2 c u bak in da Business