Driftwood Noob In Need Of Help!!

Discussion in 'Driftwood' started by 619DevSD, Apr 12, 2018.

1. 619DevSD

619DevSD New Member Member

Just joined the fishlore community and love the information I'm finding and help I'm receiving! I'm upgrading from a 10 gal. to 40 gal. glass tank and had ideas on the way I want it to look (been looking at YouTube vids) but since getting the 40 gal. my money is REALLY low. So my question is this: I WANT WOOD IN THERE but don't know what wood can be used as driftwood . I live in San Diego, the park has tons of old branches I would love to use but is it safe after I cure it?? My mollies had fru and don't want any of my fish to die...PLS HELP!

2. Little John

Little John Valued Member Member

I think you could use the wood (don't trust me on that) because I found some driftwood on the beach and I boiled it and its fish safe.

But before you get fish for it you should cycle it.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2018
  3. OP
    OP
    619DevSD

So as long as I sand it and boil it, can I drop it in after that? Should I let it sit in treated water or something like that?

4. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Fishlore VIP Member

Go to the aquarium forums and scroll down to driftwood. They have excellent ways to tell what’s safe and not. Awesome info!

5. OP
    OP
    619DevSD

Cycling the 40 gal. tank now and going to use the media from the 10 gallon since it's already been running for about 6mo.

Ok I'll do that, must have missed it, been searching the side for about an HR. Lol

6. Little John

Little John Valued Member Member

Here's what I did, I soaked it in water with prime conditioner in it for 30 mins, boiled it for 6 mins to sterilize. then boiled it for 1 hour to waterlog it so it would sink.

7. OP
    OP
    619DevSD

Ok just might do it then, I thank you two so very much for the help.

8. Gypsy13

Right under their fish logo. Under freshwater tank equipment.

Make sure it’s old. And they advise not to use anything aromatic. Do check out the forum. They tell you exactly what to look for and how long to treat each type. Truly a time saver for me. This is my chunk.

Attached Files:

9. OP
    OP
    619DevSD

Awww yeahhhh, that's what I'm talking about! That's nice bro, I need it to be like that! Once I get all the info I need I'll post a pic of end project. That's again y'all so glad I found this community, the help is awesome!

Ok I just seen a awesome piece of grapewood burl and I wanted to use it as driftwood in my 40 gal. tank, will this work? Can I do that if I cure it and soak it after? I know nothing about this wood. Pls.help!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2018
  10. Fishywife

Fishywife Valued Member Member

It will rot really quickly. I'd epoxy it and mount it on slate to submerse.

11. OP
    OP
    619DevSD

How would I do epoxy?? Still very new to all the driftwood, but the piece I seen is AWESOME for what I want to do with the new 40 gal. Is there another wood like it that is safe and won't rot? Any information is extremely helpful, thanks and thank you for responding.

12. Gypsy13

So glad to have you with us. Welcome and post pics. Everybody loves the pics! :)

13. OP
    OP
    619DevSD

WILL DO!!

I found some wood for the 40 gal. but it's un-usable from what I understand, so what I'm looking for is something that has the same style and color that grapewood burl carries. Anyone got any ideas?

14. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Several threads have been merged to keep all the information in one place & members can see what’s already been suggested.

A few ideas on some woods you can use here  

15. OP
    OP
    619DevSD

Oh ok sorry if I was posting in the wrong places, still new to the site and was looking and asking for any and all information that was helpful. Awesome site by the way but thank you for the heads up.

16. Gypsy13

It’s all good. I love the way they’ll gather everything together. I’ve got a lot of difficulty navigating sites like this. Sometimes I just have to start a new thread. If I’m needing information fairly common to the site, they’ll merge them for me. Makes me happy. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice