Driftwood Newbie

Nefersmum

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've never had drift wood in my tank before and having decided to add some I did a bit of research. I don't have the facility to do a 2hr 'boil wash'. Is there another way to prepare it for my aquarium?

Thibault Drake

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Nefersmum said:
I've never had drift wood in my tank before and having decided to add some I did a bit of research. I don't have the facility to do a 2hr 'boil wash'. Is there another way to prepare it for my aquarium?
You could soak the wood for a few weeks. I did that and then rinsed it and it was fine. What kind of wood are you using?

OP
Nefersmum

Nefersmum

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I haven't bought any as yet. I started reading about it and thought it best to check this out before I went any further. That thread has a lot of useful info. Many thanks

Thibault Drake

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Nefersmum said:
I haven't bought any as yet. I started reading about it and thought it best to check this out before I went any further. That thread has a lot of useful info. Many thanks
If you can boil the wood for half an hour than it would be cleaner and a little bit safer but it’s probably fine without it.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I don't boil my driftwood because I like the tannins, rinsing it off in hot water and putting it into the tank is all I do.

Simon1999

Reaction score
Looking for a type of wood that won't sink but is algee and shrimp safe

Annie59

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have never in my life boiled drift wood. Just how I do it. I will rinse it off to get any dirt or dust off it then plop it in the tank.

New Threads