Driftwood Nasty stuff growing...

Ben3721

So I have an old peice of driftwood about 5 years old and 8 months old in my tank. I cleaned it and boiled it and now it has nasty black specks growing ALL over on it. And my brand new driftwood has white concave shapped dots on it. about 15 of them 4mm wide 1 mm deep. Its grow and my clown pleco probably thinks the same. Should I treat the water with an low dose of fungicide? I see a lot of posts about this but I don't know what to do in my case. The wood with the black specs smells deadly. I am boiling it right now. Ive heard driftwood has to run its course with fungus... Whats that mean?

Tank is fully planted with a shrimp in it as well.

Claire Bear

Hi, I would probably get rid of it. If it is falling apart and stinks, then I would say it served well for 8 months but that is me!

Jomolager

I had a similar issue with my largest driftwood once.

Took it out and meant to throw it out, but it kind of looked good on the patio. So it stayed there on the table in the strong summer sun. It dried out, all spots vanished

Eventually it looked pretty good. I used a stiff brush, cleaned it up, soaked in clean dechlorinated water and returned it to the tank. It has been there ever since without any problems.

Ben3721

Issue is back... its in the water... all my driftwood has it now... anyone heard of this? Any way to chemically treat the tank for algae or fungus (if I knew what one it was it would be easier) sorry for kicking an old thread back up but the issue is back.

Jomolager

Chemicals may help you get rid off not only all fungus and algae on driftwood, but also all your fish in the tank.

Completely and totally drying off your driftwood will kill all algae and parasites.

By the way, I've just noticed that you live in MD. Maryland U has a great department that deals with fish lore. Try contacting them and see what they say.

Ben3721

This wood was found on a branch that was out of water for 10 years besides rain. I boiled it too... how on earth does anything survival that? Even then both driftwoods had it and they are from totally different areas and didn't touch in the tank. Without this wood my clown pleco will starve to death. It seems any wood placed in the tank gets this black specks no matter what like its in the water. I wish I knew if it was fungus or bacteria. I will take it out sometime and brush and boil it. Will microwaving it kill stuff that boiling can't? I've lead myself to believe that it came it with a fish I bought somehow. Even after QT. Idk I'm clueless here. If its in the water must I reset the tank?...

Update! Its called black spot algae.

Jomolager

It looks like you may have to get a new driftwood while you are drying out this one.

Ben3721

Since the type of this wood is kinda unknown. Maybe oak... or ever cider... should I just play it safe and pitch them in the trash and get something from a store that is for sure safe? My clown pleco has been eating this piece of wood for about a month and is not dead. And even lives there now. But if I did buy wood what should I look for? Preferably something where my pleco can hide and is definitely easy to identify. And how much should I spend for a 5-8 inch piece? I've read a myth that boiling driftwood makes it rot faster. Any thoughts?

Jomolager

I've never heard that myth. I boiled all three of my driftwoods until the water was completely clear of tannins. You can get a driftwood on line or at the Home Depo.

I don't have a Pleco, but I used to have a snail that was shredding my driftwood into tiny specks.

Ben3721

I have a local fish called ricks fish and pet, They have a ton of drift wood and are known for being the best fish store in the state. Or I can try a big box store like petco or pets smart but idk if they sell drift wood. And you said drift wood from home depo? how so?

Jomolager

My Malaysian drift wood camd from an LFS that is no more, Home Depo sells driftwood in their garden centers.

You can also get it on Amazon.

Ben3721

I should probably drop 20-30 bucks on something at my LFS, they have a lot of spider wood. Looks like tree roots kinda. But I have to find something my clown pleco will eat. So far he eats any wood.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fawkes21
  • Question
Replies
Views
Fae
  • ~EverythingsSoSawbwa~
  • Driftwood
Replies
Views