Driftwood lower ph?

1. Witchydesign

Witchydesign Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Ok so my ph is already low, 6.5-6.7. Will a piece of driftwood lower the ph more? I have a piece of mopani, and another piece of driftwood (the type escapes me right now, its a popular type though) and my 20 is screaming at me to rescape. Also i may have to set up my 10gal tank, so i need to pull plants, which will leave space for a piece of driftwood :p should i risk it?

2. virusmk

virusmk Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Driftwood will lower your ph slightly but you wount notice change overnight. It does goes on a long term and slight change not too significant.

If you are concerned over your ph always you can add a bit of crushed coral or seashels that will rise your ph.
    Its all depends of what sort of fish you want to keep

3. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Ratings:
    +1,812
    It will lower the ph a little, but regular water changes will help to keep it stable

4. OP
    OP
    Witchydesign

Ratings:
    +6
    Ok. Looks like i can rescape the 20 again then lol. It is looking pretty scraggly in there.

5. Fishdude846

Fishdude846 Member Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Depends on the type of driftwood. I had a piece of Malaysian that lowered my ph from 8.0 to 6.7 in a week. Boiled it for several hours and now the effect is negligible.

6. OP
    OP
    Witchydesign

Ratings:
    +6
    Thats the other piece, malaysian driftwood. Well my ph is already 6.7, i did give it a good soaking for about two weeks, but ill try and boil it.