Driftwood Issue

JadeDragon

Reaction score
B33C6139-CECE-44BA-83EE-C568D941C73A.jpeg
i was given a piece of driftwood that I want to prepare for my aquarium. I have soaked it almost two weeks now. But I’ve noticed the water has an oily slimy like stuff on it. Is that normal? How long do you soak it?
It’s in an inactive aquarium because it’s the only thing that was large enough to soak it.
Does it have an issue that may make it not worth using?

KinsKicks

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello!

That’s just a bit of biofilm from no surface agitation (it is inactive!). Not really a big deal at all

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Should be fine, a tank that doesn't have any surface movement will always get that oil surface look to it. It's just a protein/bio film that is usually broken down by surface agitation (filter, air stone etc.)

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Put an airstone in there with it and the bio-film should go away. It will also keep the water from starting to smell bad.

JadeDragon

Reaction score
Thank you. Also how long will it need to soak before it will get water logged enough not to float up every time I take the rock off

Mazeus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
JadeDragon said:
Thank you. Also how long will it need to soak before it will get water logged enough not to float up every time I take the rock off
That depends on the piece of wood can range from a few weeks to a few months. I have one that has been soaking for almost 2 months, no sign of sinking yet. I'm going to fix it to a piece of slate today, I suspect it will take a good few months before it is completely water logged.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
JadeDragon said:
That is hard to say. Every piece of driftwood is unique so some take longer than others.

I was reading something in another thread about putting it in a baking pan or any oven safe pan big enough for the job. Cover it with water and let it boil in the oven for a while. The poster said their wood sank right away after doing that. They were doing it to make sure it got rid of anything detrimental to their tank but it also accomplished water logging it enough to keep it from floating.

JadeDragon

Reaction score
mattgirl said:
That is hard to say. Every piece of driftwood is unique so some take longer than others.

I was reading something in another thread about putting it in a baking pan or any oven safe pan big enough for the job. Cover it with water and let it boil in the oven for a while. The poster said their wood sank right away after doing that. They were doing it to make sure it got rid of anything detrimental to their tank but it also accomplished water logging it enough to keep it from floating.
Oh I wish I could but it’s to big it won’t fit

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
JadeDragon said:
Oh I wish I could but it’s to big it won’t fit
That is often the case so I guess it would only work for smaller pieces. Is it possible to just put yours in a bucket and pour boiling water over it? That should help it absorb the water quicker. I know I soaked a piece for what seemed like forever and it just didn't want to stay down. I finally resorted to soaking it in boiling hot water and it just took a short time to finally get it to where it no longer floated.

JadeDragon

Reaction score
Thank you I may have to try that. I have a smaller aquarium I think it’ll fit in that I could try pouring boiling water over it

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom