Driftwood In Tank?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Freshwaterfish101, Aug 5, 2017.

1. F

Freshwaterfish101 New Member Member

I have a five gallon tank which I have placed some driftwood in. I really need it in there to lower the PH and soften my water, however its turning my water really brown. Any way I can keep the water clear whilst still getting the benefits of the released tannins?

2. dcutl002

dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

The tannins are harmless, but if you want clearer water perform a 50% water change. Over time, the wood will cease to color the water "brown".

3. LittleMissSaasha

LittleMissSaasha New Member Member

I would personally have soaked it at least a little bit before hand.

4. dcutl002

dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

Tannins are not for everyone. I keep Tetras, so I welcome the "brown colored" water from driftwood.

5. jmaldo

jmaldo Well Known Member Member

Tannins - Great for Fish, personal choice of keeper. I have read some people use Purigen in their filters to remove the tannins. I personally boil mine for a few hours then toss in pail with treated or tank water for 24 hours then add to tank. Still get tannins which add a nice color to the tank. Always a big debate whether or not to boil, its up to you.

6. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Water changes and carbon will help remove discoloration in the water.

Driftwood won't drastically soften the water or lower the pH. What is the pH and why do you want to lower it?

7. i

ilovefishys17 Valued Member Member

When I was setting up my tank for discus, my driftwood did the same things, but I just left it cause it made my parimeteres right.

8. OP
    OP
    F

Freshwaterfish101 New Member Member

My PH is generally around 8.4.

9. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Unless you are keeping wild caught fish or planning to breed, most fish can adapt to that pH.

10. dartzy

dartzy Valued Member Member

Took 3 weeks to finally loose all my tannins. Keep in mind it soaked for 5 days prior.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice