Driftwood/ Ial Tannins The Same?

1. Pishies Member Member

Are the tannins from driftwood as beneficial as the tannins from Indian Almond leaves?

I really hate the look of the tannins, but if its beneficial to the fish, I might have to learn to live with it.

I have driftwood in my tanks and they all have the tannin staining even though I boiled the wood for 3 days.

How good is the tannin from driftwood compared to the IAL?

Thanks

2. DHIWZ Member Member

Should be the same.

If you really dislike it adding Purigen to your filter should go a long way towards clearing it out. Although if you've boiled your wood for 3 days then a few water changes should clear most of the tannins unless you're adding an entire tree.

3. EmmaBudgie Member Member

I soaked my pieces for a week straight adding fresh hot water every day and boiled them a few times (for maybe and hour or two each time) and my tank still has tannins after a month or so. I guess it may depend on the wood type, I believe mopani is very heavy in tannins for a long time.

My understanding is that tannins are good for the fish in that in their natural habitat they would exist. I bought my driftwood for the benefit of the fish, but then ended up liking the colour of the water and how it brings out the fishes colours.

But yeah you can add purigen to filter to help clear the water.

Not sure in comparison to IAL if the tannins are the same. Hopefully someone can help :)

4. smee82 Well Known Member Member

Tannis are good for fish but if you hate the look purigen as said is good at removing it

5. Pishies Member Member

Yes hopefully someone knows for sure if the benefits of the tannins from driftwood are the same as IAL tannins.

6. chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Tannic acid is Tannic acid, regardless of the source. However, I'm not sure whether the acids from almond leaves would be considered tannic or humic acid. When you try to figure out the differences, it gets a little complicated. I've seen tanks get dark from leaching driftwood, but it seems to get darker, faster, using almond leaves, peat, or sphagnum moss. I've also seen test results that suggest wood tannins don't drop the hardness or the pH as significantly as the others.