Driftwood Help

Discussion in 'Aquarium Aquascaping' started by Ste, Apr 24, 2017.

1. SteValued MemberMember

Myy driftwood where i recently tied som moss to it is leaking some kind of sap/puffy material that sticks to it. Is it normal in your aquarium guys? Also the seller said it is normal.. but i just wanna make sure.. and what can i do to get rid of it?

2. KimberlyG

KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

Is it that whitish clear stuff?

3. OP
    OP
    S

SteValued MemberMember

Yes it is

4. Caitlin86

Caitlin86Well Known MemberMember

mine did that too..every water change i would rinse the driftwood off in aquarium water and it eventually stopped producing that white translucent "slime"

5. KimberlyG

KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

Caitlin is correct. It will stop. (It is not harmful, only unsightly)

6. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

I keep getting algae coating my driftwood like crazy.

My plants weren't growing so well, so I took the driftwood out to give them more room to grow in my tank.

I currently have the driftwood, drying.

7. OP
    OP
    S

SteValued MemberMember

I would do that, but the problem is that the wood already have moss tied to it, but i tried just sucking the slime with some pipe and it does get rid of it but not all, if i leave it like that will it just dissolve or can the shrimps eat it??

8. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Some of the bottom feeding fish, and shrimps may try to eat it, but I havent really had this fungus, so I dont know.

9. Caitlin86

im pretty sure it will eventually go away...just keep using ur gravel vac 2 suck some off each water change..it is unsightly but is not a danger 2 ur inhabitants.

10. OP
    OP
    S

SteValued MemberMember

K thx

11. OP
    OP
    S

SteValued MemberMember

I heard from sellers that its the sap

12. Caitlin86

np!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice