driftwood from LFS

1. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

My LFS has a great piece of driftwood but after reading how to treat it I still have some questions.

I am going to scrub it down with hot water and dump boiling water over it (I don't have a big enough pot) and then soak it for a day or two. Is there anything else I need to do? Since it is from a store, and I assume that they treat it, would it still have the contaminants that wood from a beach or river would have?

Thanks.

2. eiginh Well Known Member Member

If it doesn't fit, you can put part of the DW into the pot and have it boiling continuously then flip it over to get the other half. The method of pouring boiling hot water wouldn't be consistent unless you plan on pouring boiling hot water for hours...It'll have tannins but thats why you have to keep boiling it.

3. Broq15 Initiate Member

Just scrub and soak it in hot water so that all the debris come off and the tannins leak out. You need to monitor the color of the water. When it becomes dark, dump the water out and replace it with new hot water. The tannins are what's giving the water a "tea-like" color. This may be the look that you want, as some people like the darker appearance to resemble the black waters of the amazon (from what I've read). Tannins are harmless to your fish. However, you want to make sure to scrub it good. If pieces of it easily break off, it's not ready to be put in the tank and will just dirty up your tank quicker, although normal degradation will take place in your tank which will soften your aquarium water over time.

People who find wood pieces in nature have to cure it, which is another topic I am not familiar with. Driftwood from fish stores just need some scrubbing and time to soak!
    Someone else may know more...good luck.

4. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

thanks for the quick responses. the ph in my tank is at 6.8. will the driftwood lower it to dangerous levels?

5. Broq15 Initiate Member

Don't worry about. Driftwood softening your water and making it more acidic will happen over a long, long period of time. Plus, you'll be doing water changes so it's nothing to worry about.

6. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

how long should I boil it? and how long should it soak? do i just put it in a bucket with regular tap water?

7. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/driftwood/41945-driftwood-notes.html heres a great link to help with driftwood...

what is your tap water ph? if its much higher than your 6.8, i would recommend you get some without tannis in it as your ph will lower with tannis.....although it doesnt happen overnight, it will keep the ph low and even lower it more....so water changes would be an issue by the ph being so much different...

as far as cleaning it, a good hot water bath in the shower, with a good scrubbing, should be fine....

8. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

yeah my tap water ph looks to be a little over 7.6

do storse sell driftwood w/o tannis? and is that because they have already treated it?

9. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

tannis driftwood will be more of an orangy brown color...more of the gray/whitish driftwood wont have much in it.....with your ph that high, id get any kind of driftwood you like, but also add a few pounds of crushed coral to counteract the driftwood....or you wil lhave to do more frequent but smaller water changes so you dont have a ph shock

10. Beth1965 Well Known Member Member

tannins are a natural product of the wood, not anything to do with it being already treated.

11. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

my tap is 7.6 but my tank is 6.8
    doesn't the tank ph rise when I do a water change with the tap water?
    how much crushed coral? 1 pound? 1/2 pound?

12. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

yes the water ph will rise with water changes, but once you add the driftwood, and it has tannis in it, the ph will go much lower than 6.8 in time,,and you dont do water changes daily so the ph will continue to lower over time...hence why i suggested adding some crushed coral at the same time you add your driftwood to counteract eachother ...or get driftwood without tannis to solve all the issues :)

13. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

ok.

14. callichma Well Known Member Member

I'm wondering why your tank pH is so much lower than your tap.

Also, do you know anyone with a turkey fryer? That's what I used to boil my dw, and it worked well and was faster than just soaking.

15. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

GREAT question callichma!
    are you still cycling the tank fishingman?

16. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

it just finished cycling and no one i know has a fryer.

ammonia is 0
    nitrites 0
    nitrates 8
    and you already know my ph

oh and it is a 20 gallon

17. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

give it a couple more weeks of being settled..you will be surprised to see what your final ph is at..

18. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

could I still add the driftwood? or should I add it when the ph settles?

19. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

you can add it...it doesnt drop the ph fast ...gradually over time

20. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

Ok. Thanks.