driftwood from backyard

Discussion in 'Driftwood' started by Justios, Mar 15, 2010.

1. JustiosNew MemberMember

alright so basically I was reading on here on where to get driftwood, so I decided to look in my backyard woods area and saw this tree that had been knocked over. It was really rotten, a light grey color I guess because it had been dead for a while. So I started looking at the roots and thought it would be a cool piece of driftwood, well finally got it dug up and I think I have a pretty awesome huge piece.

Only problem is I am not sure what kind of wood it is, obviously it is heavy, partly cause it is so big, it seems very dense though. I think it may be a "hard wood" but not quite sure. I am definitely gonna have to break it down a little as some of the stump area is rotten and soft, plus its just too big for my 55. Anyways I just wanted to share with you all what I found right in my backyard! I think it looks awesome, and tons of hiding places...here are some pics

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  2. Shawnie

ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

3. GargoyleWell Known MemberMember

That is a nice looking chunk of wood right there! I wish you the best of luck with it!

4. bassbonediva

bassbonedivaFishlore VIPMember

Wow! Awesome piece of wood! Have fun soaking it, though. I have a piece in my 55gal that is a really awkward shape and I ended up just tossing it in the tank after rinsing it REALLY well because it didn't fit in any of the containers I had. It's still releasing tannins into the water (not that big of a deal since tannins don't hurt fish, considering they're found in almost all natural environments where fish are found), but it's starting to release less.

5. OP
    OP
    J

JustiosNew MemberMember

thanks, I love it as well! I am still trying to figure out what to do with it, I am going to have to break a couple pieces off as it is to big. My friends tell me to clean it up and just leave it the way it is in my house cause breaking it would ruin it. So I'm not sure what I'm gonna do yet...what kind of wood was your driftwood do you know?

6. blueiristyson

blueiristysonValued MemberMember

I hope it works out for you. Please post results

7. lovefishesNew MemberMember

that is a pretty large piece of wood. if the whole thing wont fit in your tank i would probably just keep it as a decoration around the house. i think since its not "true driftwood" it would probably be pretty messy if you broke it up and then put it in. some of the wood coulp be pretty punky and rotten so it could just break apart in the tank. knowing what type of wood it is would depend on where you live, and the climate you live in (so if you live in california do you live in the mountains or down on sea level. also what type of woods did you find it in? was is mostly conifers (pines) or mostly deciduous (trees that lose leaves). that could give you a pretty decent idea of what it could be. best of luck...i know this is kind of an old thread to post on but i figured id try and help if i could =D

8. phishyitis

phishyitisValued MemberMember

Looks like a cedar stump to me.

9. striker

strikerValued MemberMember

Just make sure you dry it completely and then soak it for about a week.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice